Finally, long awaited Mouflon Baby!

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Mouflon Ewe finally gave birth to a beautiful purebred Mouflon Lamb!! She got into heat so late(usually they birth between march and end of april) I was worried she didn't take or something. She never looked preggers and being the wild thing she is handling is pretty much out.

So i was tickled to see her in pre labour behaviour 2 days ago and then yesterday afternoon she retreated to their night paddock without the herd(which is weird, she cant stand being away from everyone). 9 pm I locked the whole herd up and seen she had started labour. Me standing at the other end of the pen watching didnt sit well with her and she willed her labour to stop...... :/ stood there half an hour and her just staring and not moving a muscle.
So I literally sat like on hot coals watching TV wanting to go out and check(didnt tho otherwise the little bugger will never get born). Broke down before going to bed at midnight and checked and yay she had a bouncing lil healthy lamb!

So this am I went out and took pics when I let them out to graze. Momma went to eat and left the lil one in the paddock to sleep(that worked for all of 1 minute) so I got a chance at a few close up pics without mom and then with mom when she noticed I was skulking around the paddock fence to get some good photos.
Also observations concluded that its a ewe lamb which is doubly awesome !!!

mouflambmay23rd8.jpg

mouflambmay23rd10.jpg

mouflambmay23rd3.jpg

mouflambmay23rd12.jpg

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are beautiful! I know nothing about the breed though, do they have a purpose such as fiber?

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
European mouflon is one of the 2 original species from which all domestic sheep originate from. They are mainly ornamental, the rams with their very colourful winter coats and big horns are often used for trophy hunting. Their meat is very good too when not in the Rut(so dont butcher a ram between october - january they smell rather strong), but they are one of the smallest wild sheep in the world(ewes around 75 lbs and rams around 125-150 lbs).

Being a non-domestic breed they are rather flighty at times tho.

They are not as common in captivity as I would like to see(well in canada anyways, the southern US states they are rather common on hunting ranches), I find them to be a great breed to have even with their more nervous nature. Very hardy and self reliant.

In any case this is my first lamb bred and born here so I am just thrilled right now!!!!!

Peeka52

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is gorgeous! Congratulations on a safe birth :)

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing such an unusual breed with us. The baby is gorgeous, and you take beautiful pictures. I must say though, the ewe looks like she means evil to you for daring to stand anywhere near her baby. Thank you again for sharing, and so happy you had a successful birth and a ewe lamb at that!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh what a beauty :) She is absolutely adorable. Congratulations!

Liz

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
boothcreek said:
My Mouflon Ewe finally gave birth to a beautiful purebred Mouflon Lamb!! She got into heat so late(usually they birth between march and end of april) I was worried she didn't take or something. She never looked preggers and being the wild thing she is handling is pretty much out.

So i was tickled to see her in pre labour behaviour 2 days ago and then yesterday afternoon she retreated to their night paddock without the herd(which is weird, she cant stand being away from everyone). 9 pm I locked the whole herd up and seen she had started labour. Me standing at the other end of the pen watching didnt sit well with her and she willed her labour to stop...... :/ stood there half an hour and her just staring and not moving a muscle.
So I literally sat like on hot coals watching TV wanting to go out and check(didnt tho otherwise the little bugger will never get born). Broke down before going to bed at midnight and checked and yay she had a bouncing lil healthy lamb!

So this am I went out and took pics when I let them out to graze. Momma went to eat and left the lil one in the paddock to sleep(that worked for all of 1 minute) so I got a chance at a few close up pics without mom and then with mom when she noticed I was skulking around the paddock fence to get some good photos.
Also observations concluded that its a ewe lamb which is doubly awesome !!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/mouflambmay23rd8.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/mouflambmay23rd10.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/mouflambmay23rd3.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Pheasants4ever/mouflambmay23rd12.jpg
:) funny i was just looking at buying some mauflon's!

Latest posts