Finally!!!! We have Merry's little buckling!

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20160412_133909.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, he's HUGE and handsome too! So, since Pippin got the crush/cut/snip, what will you do with this young lad?

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations! She certainly took her "merry" time. (sorry for the terrible pun:smack) He is a beauty, though. I'm sure he'll supply some beautiful babies down the road. Don't forget, Nigies can be fertile as early as 6 weeks, so keep an eye on him! He's already half the size of his mom! I know you're happy you don't need that baby monitor anymore.

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support from everyone. I made it through the first kidding season for me and my little does. Everybody came out healthy and now we have a larger but very happy herd. Merry and Frodo have had it out now after many small battles and the herd queen is..... I have no idea. Pippin would not take sides during the battles but he would just leisurely walk in between the two ladies making them stop for a bit. Sam stayed out of it and would play with the kids, she is a terrific Auntie.

Pippin and Bochey will be taking over the new fenced yard adjacent to the old one once Bochey is 8 weeks old. Bunny and Sam are already best pals and climbing partners. Kidding season is stressful and I really feel for those that were challenged with difficult births, tragedies, and losing babies, and in the case of those who lost does, good friends. I learned a tremendous amount, but most of all I learned that I love having my little goaties. My wife really had hopes that this would be a passing phase, but I am hoping that once we start having fresh milk, cheese and yogurt, she will come around. She was opposed to the chickens at first, but now she would never think of buying eggs ever again. Tomorrow, I will integrate the two new chicks along with two turkey chicks to the herd. They are now big enough where they can't squeeze through the 2x4 no climb fencing, so I think it is time they join the family.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations Jer. Haven't seen you or heard anything in a while... Hope all is well with your little herd.