Firedragon1982s kindling thread

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just setting up a kindling thread now that one doe is in the process of pulling a crazy amount of fur... Won't be long now!

The mommas to be: Zelda my castor rex and Penelope my broken opal rex. VZM.IMG_20161028_181202.jpg

1028160709a.jpg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish my girls would breed in the fall. Do you do anything special this time of year? Am told year around breeding are somewhat genetic. Even my boys don't seem to want to cooperate.

Last edited:

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I currently have them in my garage while we try too get the barn built. I turn the lights in the garage on at 6 when I get up, off at bedtime. I also have our chicken/duck brooder on the garage with 2 hens recovering from bumble foot surgery (easy to catch to clean and soak the feet). I wasn't supposed to breed 2 girls, but thought that it he wasn't going to be very fertile or if one of the girls wasn't a good mother better 2 than 1 lol.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very nice rabbits!!! Rex usually make great mothers, so you should have few problems, if any. Extended daylight hours definately help, but even without them, is is almost always possible to get your does bred.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So before I left for work, Zelda did make a lovely pile of fur, but nothing yet... Of course I have to work overtime today, so can't be home checking, but maybe that's a good thing! Penelope made a nice hole in her straw in her nest box... but no fur before leaving. We'll see what the lunch time update is from my husband. LOL

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Zelda should kindle within a day. Penelope may be another day or to, but maybe not. Some rabbits wait until the last second to pull fur.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This morning they are both looking huge and uncomfortable. Zelda especially, the way she's holding her ears when I went out to water and give them their hay. Typically they perk their ears forward and greet me when I come out. She looked seriously annoyed, ears back and giving me the side-eye, but still has a big belly. But Penelope greeted me like normal then went and stretched out on by the nest box showing off her belly. I'll say she kindles a couple days later then Zelda. I'll say this, it's like their bellies became obvious overnight, they looked fuller, but not large like they do now lol.

We had a female rabbit when I was young that we bred once that was a satin-rex mix that didn't show at all, never did the whole carry straw/pull fur, and kindled on the wire instead of the nest box and lost all the kits. I got to be the one to find them in the morning and clean it up at 12 yrs old. Not a fun time, hadn't had rabbits since I was 16. So of course I'm paranoid this time around.

Eta anyone else have fun with mobile auto correct when trying to type things? I've edited 3 times now and still finding typos!

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You're doing great. Dams differ in their moods when the kindle. I've seen ones that are usually nice but when they are about to kindle are absolute grouches, and some that don't have mood changes at all. I've never had kits born in the wire, but still paranoid.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The girls are still hugely pregnant, and have rearranged their nests a couple of times now...the waiting and being patient is horrible. Today is day 30. When should I worry? Lol

Latest posts