First 4-h Stock show with lamb

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My 11 year old kiddo attended his first stock show last weekend with his 8 month old Dorper ewe lamb. He showed her in the breeding sheep class..as I was afraid she wouldnt make weight for the market (non terminal) class..(shouldnt have worried..she wouldve made weight..)

His hair breeding class was a combined junior/senior class..and he showed against three MUCH older dorper ewes with highschool handlers. His ewe did great..she was alittle stubbourn in walking for him..but he kept his composure, kept showing and ended up THIRD. The judge had great comments..said she was very structually sound and correct and he'd like to see her back as a senior ewe.

In showmanship, she gave him again, alittle trouble walking..but he still ended up third out of eight kids.

This little ewe was a big hit with everyone at the show..due to her unique coloring and such. It certainly was an experience, my son had a great time and wants to do it again next year...but with two breeders AND a market lamb..:)

A picture of him with his ribbons
spinandslide-albums-casey-picture111669-fudgecaseyshow1.jpg

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It was!
Ive shown horses for years..have kind of gotten out of that..but I tell you, while we did prep the lamb, it wasnt nearly as time consuming as prepping a horse!

I learned alot...he learned alot and we are looking forward to next year. :)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's great! And what a wonderful experience for your son!!!! Lamb is really nice looking and so is your son:) You must be very proud!

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you!

It was a great lesson on multiple levels. He is wanting to do livestock judging now, so he can learn what the judges are looking for.

the lamb, w6, aka "Fudge" will be showing again next year as a senior, she has a stellar temperment.

Some children from the local day school with disabilities were at the show..they all pet Fudge and she was great for it...the kids loved her.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
:clap Congrats to him for a job well done!! He's a cute kid, and the lamb looks great!

Latest posts