first baby goats.

George Ann

Just born
Reaction score
Two so far first one was not living there may still be another. I saw the buck trying to mount her after she had started labor and before I could run him off. Could that be the cause of the first one being still born? Also will the buck try to hurt the little ones? She is now closed in away from him and he will get his own pen for the next couple months come tomorrow. (I have two more does fixin to domino and I would like to give them a bit of a break.)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could that be the cause of the first one being still born?
No, it's because he's a buck...he's responding to the hormonal changes in the doe. Good that you've separated them. He probably won't hurt the babies - but as you've noticed he will harass the does.

Sorry you lost the kid.

George Ann

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm new at this, fortunately the does I have are not.

George Ann

Just born
Reaction score
OK, new problem. I have 4 does that are/were pregnant. The first to kid was the one mentioned above. The next one a day later had 3 all doing fine but that doe seems to think her kids should not be in the same area as the other ones and wants to butt them out the door. My question is will they quit being so territorial after the kids are a few days old or will this behavior continue. I have limited covered space, two more to domino and the weather is going to turn nasty in 2 days or so it is predicted.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My does always seemed to clam a bit after a few days. The first few days they are trying to bond with their kids(well good mothers do) so they dont want other does close to them.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the new kids! Sorry you lost the one. Hope you'll share some pics when you can. Some of us are just starting and have 4-5 months yet to wait :(

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with @Latestarter. He loaned me his buck, so my two does were bred by his buck, after he bred his does. I'm looking at May for my next kidding. I was just wondering, today, what our kids are going to look like. Actually, one of my does and his buck could be twins, they look so much alike. I kinda thinkin' their kids will look like them too. :lol:

Oh, and congratulations on your kids! I'm sorry you lost one of the first 2. Hopefully the remaining two does will give you healthy kids. Are you planning to milk all four?

I'm milking my two, until the,end of March. Their supply is starting to go down. I make about five pounds of Mozzarella cheese today. But I also make kefir, and we have a cream separator, so we also make cream and butter. One of these days I want to make some ice cream.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We typically have our kids in February. Hopefully it will be mild for our area to help limit possible problems.

Hope your kids are all doing well and stay in good health.

George Ann

Just born
Reaction score
I'm with @Latestarter. He loaned me his buck, so my two does were bred by his buck, after he bred his does. I'm looking at May for my next kidding. I was just wondering, today, what our kids are going to look like. Actually, one of my does and his buck could be twins, they look so much alike. I kinda thinkin' their kids will look like them too. :lol:

Oh, and congratulations on your kids! I'm sorry you lost one of the first 2. Hopefully the remaining two does will give you healthy kids. Are you planning to milk all four?

I'm milking my two, until the,end of March. Their supply is starting to go down. I make about five pounds of Mozzarella cheese today. But I also make kefir, and we have a cream separator, so we also make cream and butter. One of these days I want to make some ice cream.

Actually I am not milking at all, I got them to keep the fire hazard down after I sold my horse. Hopefully I will find some people that wish to form community here that would like to take advantage of the resource, but I dont want to tie myself down to it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So you're going to open like a lawn care service but with goats? Call it a brush care service? Rent them out to help others keep their fire hazard brush under control? Hmmm might work. I see ads on Craig's list looking for or offering goats for brush clearing.