First freshener with triplets, how do I know if she has enough milk?

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My buck is almost the same color, more white then, black and brown patches around his face. I have always called him a calico, I have looked at all the registry and associations, and I can't find what to call his coloring.:\ 2 years with goats, and that's the one thing I don't know. Nice buck, doe , and babies.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! Maybe I will. I love that photo too. There's another one of him kind of jumping through the lupine that I love too. It inspired our herd name, Lupine Hill. The kids so far are Lupine Hill Cajun Spice (the red buckling we are keeping), Lupine Hill Mango Chutney (the tiny spotted doeling) and Lupine Hill Sassafrass (the bigger doeling who is VERY sassy!)

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My buck is almost the same color, more white then, black and brown patches around his face. I have always called him a calico, I have looked at all the registry and associations, and I can't find what to call his coloring.:\ 2 years with goats, and that's the one thing I don't know. Nice buck, doe , and babies.

Thanks! We don't know much about breeding goats, but we thought our does were fairly nice looking and we found a fancy looking buck so we thought we'd give it a try. Coming from the horse world I would really scold people who approached breeding that way, so I realize we are probably making tons of mistakes, but it's fun and I sure do love the kids. We're mainly breeding for pets, so temperament was huge for us. If someone wants to get into showing with one of the kids, great, they will be registered, but that wasn't our focus.
About the coloring, our buck is listed as "tan with black and white random markings" so not terribly helpful! I have no idea about coloring, I'll have to do some research so I know how to register the kids.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I come from a horse back ground too. Goats were just a way for me to keep something in my backyard. I have never bred horses, but have always had them.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I haven't bred horses either, but have worked for a bunch of really high end breeders. Now I work for a huge horse sanctuary and am in charge of the rescued Thoroughbreds. I'm having so much fun with the goats now though at home!

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I "trained " my horses when I was younger, and everytime I tell someone that they like totally go off into a full blown argument, so I stopped offering to help other people with horses. Now, I am with goats, and have my riding horse, and my pony that I rescued off the street. I love genetics, and stuff related...don't think I'd ever breed horses there are to many already. Goats on the other hand I will breed, because we have a market, and some people like goat meat. Love my goats and would never eat one.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There are right around 60 Thoroughbreds at the sanctuary that are my responsibility. There are over 400 animals total. Horses, donkeys, goats, sheep, llamas and alpacas. It's a huge operation, but it's run by good people and has pretty good funding. They take really good care of the animals.