First horse auction experience…

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Went to a horse auction last night, I’ve heard a lot about it for years but just decided to go. I went expecting to buy one of the two mules that were there (one of them is the appy mule pictured), but didn’t get the chance as we had to leave early. There were some really pretty, nice horses, but there were also some sad cases where they were underweight, and/or in bad condition. A lot of the mares there were stated as bred, one of them had a severely swollen leg, a big ol draft mare, but I didn’t get any pictures of her. One girl did a headstand in her horses saddle just to show how broke and calm the horse was.
IMG_1652.jpeg
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_1642.jpeg
IMG_1645.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1641.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Terrible pasterns on that last horse, poor thing. Some pretty horses but I don't know about buying at an auction. Do they come with a vet check or buyer beware? What were the prices?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Terrible pasterns on that last horse, poor thing. Some pretty horses but I don't know about buying at an auction. Do they come with a vet check or buyer beware? What were the prices?
it was a pretty nice auction, two vets and a transporter on site, and yes, they are pretty honest about everything! Prices were from $300 (for an unstarted pretty paint filly) to $5000 (for a pair of draft brothers) prices averaged around $500-$800. The bred draft mare went for only $800 because of her swollen leg.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent auction. You can find some good horses at auction and you can find some horrible horses too. I’m gonna goes the last horse pictured went to a kill buyer.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent auction. You can find some good horses at auction and you can find some horrible horses too. I’m gonna goes the last horse pictured went to a kill buyer.
unfortunately, he probably did, I believe he may have been drugged before the auction as well, his eyes were dull but looked weird and his lip was hanging down, so drugged or dejected and depressed 😕

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He obviously wasn’t cared for. Horses get old and sickly. Most people would rather take them to auction and get a few hundred bucks than deal with disposal of a dead horse. I’ve never taken a horse to auction.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
"No hoof, no horse." Sadly, euthanasia probably the best thi:(ng due to his condition.