First Post, What are the Pros and Cons of different LGDs

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
Hello y'all and just wanted to say I found your forum because of a picture of a Sarplaninac tooth on a measuring tape lol, but seriously I have been researching LGDs for use in Texas on Feral Hogs, so it hasn't been easy finding a dog that can stand the heat and take down a nasty hog even in a pack. I know the Great Pyrenees is the most widely used and even USDA approved, but I don't think it will fair well in a hot climate. I was just looking at the Sarplaninac/Yugoslavian Mountain Dog because it has fangs like knives, which could be useful in killing hogs if they don't break off. I also noticed the Serbian Defense Dog has this trait with a shorter coat, but these dogs may have to go into a mix for what I need. One dog that looks promising is the Olympia Farm Dog that is a Boerboel x Kangal(Anatolian Mastiff) and the American Mastiff that is a Mastiff x Kangal. I also have been looking at Australian dogs like the Bullygrey and Kangaroo Dog. Other than that I am open to suggestions of breeds and mixes. You may be wondering why I just don't use an American Bulldog like everyone else in the south that catches hogs, well they are not used to chase hogs and are just sent in to hold it so the hunter can kill it. What I need is a pack of dogs I can leave outside that can chase down and kill a hog, coyote, or even wolves.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think LGD breeds will work as you think they will. I suppose in theory they could be trained however I don't think LGD's with proper temperments will be able to perform what you want very well. So you'd be relying on dogs culled for improper temperment and who knows what else could occur from breeders not placing proper temperment and working ability high on their list. I also don't think it is a safe even for them at least not alone like you want. We've hog hunted with my inlaws catahoulas and I have seen what they can do to even extremely fast agile and experienced hog dogs. Their pyr can't keep up with the houlas at all, she's nowhere near as fast or agile and definitely not one to leave her herd.

Mixing with a breed with a higher chase drive could result as you want or as is more likely it could produce a litter that will likely be unusable either as a dog to catch and hold hogs or to guard the home/livestock. Either way even if you did get your perfect "hog hunting on their own" dog, it is highly unlikely they will be safe to keep around livestock or strange people. I guess what I'm saying is that I think you need to decide whether you want catch dogs like Bulldogs or Dogo's or dogs that keep the hogs/coyotes/predators from being a concern by running them off your land and killing only as a last line of defense. Ones we have had in the past don't really give chase to kill unless something is bent on harming their herd, hogs are not stupid and will run at the warning a LGD gives because getting hurt = death to a feral animal.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
I see your point Karma and the problem is when you chase off hogs they still destroy everything. I figure if wolves are hogs natural predator there has got to be a dog that is similar. Keep in mind the land they would be canvassing would not have people on it. Also dogs with a high prey drive tend not to be people aggressive. I've been reading about the Kangal and it seems the closest to what I need.

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im no expert, but you may want to look into Boz Shepherds. I have been reading a lot about them and I am leaning towards them for my herd.. They are similar in color and origin as the Kangals, but much larger.. Just a thought :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a TV show on Animal Planet of Hog hunters in Texas, they use hounds, Pitts and other dogs. Maybe you can call a company like them and ask them what would or not work.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You need a breed of dog that has hunting in it's genes, not one who's genetics tell it to kill only to protect it's livestock. The LGD breeds have a very low prey drive. I really don't think just turning a pack loose to hunt down and kill hogs and wolves is a sound decision at all! What is going to keep them on your property, only killing the animals you want them to kill? Encouraging a pack to become unsupervised killing machines is going to get you into a heap of legal trouble. You'd be far better off setting some live traps to catch the hogs. It's very easy to catch hogs in live traps. You can actually build a large stout pen out of stock panels and make a trap gate and catch lots of them with no need for dogs.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I don't need a dog to hunt, just a dog that can catch what it sees on the property. I looked at the Boz Shepherd and looks too heavy. I have been looking at fast dogs like the Kangaroo Dog to cross with something that has a killing bite. Here is what I have found in my research so far.
Serbian Defense Dog(Sarplaninac cross)
jrvert.png

Kangaroo Dog
roodog%20pups%20199%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Bullygrey
Max_1.jpg

Olympia Farm Dog
DSC_0176.JPG

Kangal
kangal20djuki20320big.jpg

BoerGrey
boerboelgrey.jpg

Maritsane (Middle dog)
maritsane3withboers.jpg

O'Halloran Hound
Red%20Doga.jpg

Tosa Bandog
Tora3yrs.JPG

Alaunt Uk
6837574153_303f259571_z.jpg

ABgrey
6837573593_b720569801_b.jpg

Maybe I will just get one of each lol
As I said before I know hog hunters and don't want a catch dog with small teeth and short muzzles or hounds with no bite.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those tall, skinny hounds look like sight hounds and are meant for small game, they will also easily break a leg when fighting the hogs. So unless you want them constantly in the hospital with leg casts, pick something thick and strong. All dogs can run fast.
I agree that a killing pack will also kill everything and anything else it finds or just wants to take down. You need to trap the hogs or hunt them yourself.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
secuono said:
Those tall, skinny hounds look like sight hounds and are meant for small game, they will also easily break a leg when fighting the hogs. So unless you want them constantly in the hospital with leg casts, pick something thick and strong. All dogs can run fast.
I agree that a killing pack will also kill everything and anything else it finds or just wants to take down. You need to trap the hogs or hunt them yourself.
http://huntingpigdog.com/index.php?page=bullgreys

Latest posts