First time and choosing Cattle....

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a Longhorn as my first cattle.
I have been told that for a weekend farm like we have they are a possible animal to have as others ask daily or at least a few days a week more care.
Am I right or wrong in this?
TX
AD

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think so. Especially if you don't have the land base or the amount of feed available to leave a bovine alone for a lengthy period of time.

How big of a farm/acreage do you have? How much pasture space do you have? What use do you have for this animal: beef, milk, both or just as a pasture ornament/pet?

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am a Dutch/Kiwi/Cowboy and plan to retire 4 years from now on a small piece of land in Whitney Texas.
We bought about a 6 acres wooded with a small separate fenced pasture of approx. 3 to 4 acres and a small Homestead is on it.
At the moment we are only in the weekends there and holidays so it is difficult to have any animals but that will give me 4 years of time to learn in here.
I wonder if I could at least maybe raise a longhorn in the meantime.but first I need to learn how as I am all new to farming.
The main purpose of it would be producing our own beef.
What would be the best to start with as a first buy?
We have cyotes and wolves in the area.
The pasture has a shelter and a feed store on it with a small pin but no water.
TX
AD

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
NO water ??? ain't gonna happen !

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Then I'd definitely wait until you retire. If you have no idea what you're getting into, what stock to raise or know how well they'll fair while you're gone and are not around more often to actually learn something, then I'd stick with hitting the books on cattle and work on coming up with a good permanent water source than putting the cart before the horse. Cattle need water, and if you get your livestock before you get water put in, you're just asking for a trainwreck to happen!

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Think I am explained myself poorly.
We do have water but not running in the pasture.
Only thing we need to do is dig a trench for an extra pipe and I have water this can be done in a couple of hrs.
That connection is only a few feet away from the stall and of course before I have any animal there that will be done first.
Yes I am new to this and willing to learn and that is why I am here for on this forum,we all have to start somewhere and some day.
I am not planning to jump any gun for sure till I feel it is right and if that is by retirement in 4 years than so be it but the sooner I start to ask questions and start reading the better in the meantime to do so at that time with more knowledge.
However my question was could I in the meantime raise a couple of longhorns as I was told they are perfect for weekend farmers as they do need less permanent care than other cow breeds.
We are at our homestead every weekend all year around and also all our holidays.
If you think this is not a good idea than that is ok but first answer from you sounded promising.
I appreciate all the advicebtwWe did had for a couple of years 2 donkeys on the field and I just used a hose for them to fill up a water tank with.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
We too are just trying to help, since we don't want to see any newbie get themselves into trouble or get into something they possibly cannot handle. The way things that get said on here are going to be blunt and to the point, but that's just the way we are, if you understand my meaning. :) So, I'm sorry for coming off so harsh/blunt like that...

Longhorns are good, certainly head-turners for sure, but Herefords are just as hardy and can do just as well, and are known to be one of the most docile breeds out there--though there are some crazies, no doubt. Brahman-cross are also good for your area as well. Might I ask, what is it about the longhorn breed that you like and are thinking of raising besides the fact that they're easier keepers (or require less maintenance) than other breeds?

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks and I fully understand.thought me being raised Dutch gave me the reputation to be blunt LOLwith my background also from New Zealand I can only appreciate the direct answers HaHa !!
There are 2 reasons I was thinking of Longhorns but I basically listen to any advice so this can change any moment.
First reason I was thinking of Longhorns was that they can protect themselves what is needed in our area as with me being only the weekends there I cannot have a dog there permanent alone and also think my pasture is too small for having some donkeys with it.
Second reason is that after reading it seems the ideal cow for people whom are not permanent living at their homestead.
Priority for us is raising our own beef and to enjoy raising them.
The other breeds you mentioned could they be left alone without them being attacked by coyotes or wolves?

The Grim Raker

Reaction score
Hi DirkWood
We have Galloway cattle at different farms during Summer and sometimes its been longer than a week between visits. They are a true beef animal and when the going gets tough they will make a meal out of something in the bush while other breeds would bellow at the gate. They gang up as a herd and enjoy stomping on coys and wolves well they are a tough Scottish breed with the most tender meat. Naturally polled and come in Black, Dun, Red, White and Belted just like your Dutch Belted Check em out and welcome to the forum

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The Grim Raker said:
Hi DirkWood
We have Galloway cattle at different farms during Summer and sometimes its been longer than a week between visits. They are a true beef animal and when the going gets tough they will make a meal out of something in the bush while other breeds would bellow at the gate. They gang up as a herd and enjoy stomping on coys and wolves well they are a tough Scottish breed with the most tender meat. Naturally polled and come in Black, Dun, Red, White and Belted just like your Dutch Belted Check em out and welcome to the forum
I have looked them up Grimthey are a GREAT looking animal.
This sounds promising. Are they expensive?
Thing is that I have only approx. 3 to 4 acre size pasture.
Would you think that this will be big enough for a bull and a heifer and with being only 2 would they be able to protect themselves with a baby against coyotes and wolves? Two is not much of a gang.
Thanks for the welcome and the great idea.
AD