First time and choosing Cattle....

The Grim Raker

Reaction score
Oh sorry didn't know you were down at 3 acres and one heifer is not going to keep a bull happy trust me on that. Seriously if I were you then forget the bull and breeding bit, just go with 2 steers to finish off and prob do it when you move in

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The Grim Raker said:
Oh sorry didn't know you were down at 3 acres and one heifer is not going to keep a bull happy trust me on that. Seriously if I were you then forget the bull and breeding bit, just go with 2 steers to finish off and prob do it when you move in
bummer...welll moving in is 4 years down the line.
I can extend my pasture to approx 4- 5 acres and than I will have also lots of tree's on there.This brings me too the next question.Would the central Texas heat not to much for them?How many you need as a minimum for the bull and how many could a 5 acre pasture handle?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk, Herefords were the next breed that came to America that were just as commonly raised as the Texas Longhorns were and treated the same way as the Longhorns were (i.e., expected them to be very good mothers that raised a calf without any human assistance and be able to do well on barely nothing), and are still raised as range cattle with them being left to fend for themselves for months at a time. Brahman are also commonly ranched in the south just like I mentioned, and are one of the good breeds at being able to look after themselves without much human assistance.

As for your other questions, I've heard much about Galloways being very good at slicking off that thick coat enough to be able to do surprisingly well in the Texas heat. (Not quite related, but Texas Longhorns actually do very well up here in Alberta being raised and treated like like the other beef cattle up here--mostly out in the open, raised so that they can do well with minimal human interference, etc.)

A minimum of 10 to 20 females for one bull is sufficient to keep him happy during the breeding season.

A five-acre pasture in your area, holding cattle all year-round, only around two to three is good, though three may be pushing it, especially if they're mature cows, not just-weaned steers. You can put more on if you want to rotationally graze a herd for a few months before selling them off again. But rotational grazing requires daily moves, something which is not possible in your current situation. When you retire and you're on the farm more often, it might be something worth learning about. :)

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
All what you guys are saying makes sense and is great advice and much appreciated. I have one more question. Would it be possible in my current situation to have two calves with one donkey for protection? If that is also not a good idea than I have to wait till permanent moving in unless there might be an option with other animals like maybe sheep?I want so badly to make use of that nice little pasture I have but of course only in a responsible manner.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Think about the stocking rate of your pastures. A donkey, though a good livestock guardian, is another grazer you're adding to the pasture and another animal unit you are adding to the stocking rate to possibly push it beyond what you want to keep a relatively healthy pasture. Of course it depends on the size of donkey you are wanting to get, because they do range from the minis to the mammoths.

Sheep are worse, they're less tougher and are literally born to die...thus need more care than a couple of steers would. Same with goats.

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Think about the stocking rate of your pastures. A donkey, though a good livestock guardian, is another grazer you're adding to the pasture and another animal unit you are adding to the stocking rate to possibly push it beyond what you want to keep a relatively healthy pasture. Of course it depends on the size of donkey you are wanting to get, because they do range from the minis to the mammoths.

Sheep are worse, they're less tougher and are literally born to die...thus need more care than a couple of steers would. Same with goats.
Its logic that the donkey eats but needed for protection having 2 calves.
Question remains if it is possible on a 4 /5 acre with a weekend attendence only and feeding regulary extra hay ?
Ps: also if with miniature belted calves would it not be less hars on the pasture ?I was thinking of a mid size quard donkey approx 50"

The Grim Raker

Reaction score
dirkwood said:
WildRoseBeef said:

Question remains if it is possible on a 4 /5 acre with a weekend attendence only and feeding regulary extra hay ?
Ps: also if with miniature belted calves would it not be less hars on the pasture ?I was thinking of a mid size quard donkey approx 50"
Oh Dirk
Don't get me started on miniature Galloway - this thread got off to such a good start with Longhorns - any more talk of mini cattle and I'm gone

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The Grim Raker said:
dirkwood said:
WildRoseBeef said:

Oh Dirk
Don't get me started on miniature Galloway - this thread got off to such a good start with Longhorns - any more talk of mini cattle and I'm gone
Haha...LOL...hey you started it...now you pay a price.....Just tell me that I can raise 2 longhorn calves on their own or together with a guard donkey on a small 4/5 acres with attending them only in the weekends without running into problems or the SPCA after my neck and I might be your man....

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
dirkwood said:
WildRoseBeef said:

With the addition of hay, I'd say yes.

And man, you'd REALLY get some rubber-necks with a couple mini belties! :D

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
dirkwood said:
WildRoseBeef said:

With the addition of hay, I'd say yes.

And man, you'd REALLY get some rubber-necks with a couple mini belties! :D
TY... and not decided completely yet on belties....I may put Grim in the pasture. ..:lol: