First time and choosing Cattle....

started*with*chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I didn't read all of the replies so it might have been mentioned but you could get mini-longhorns. :D

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am going this weekend to a nearby ranch around the corner to see and learn.
Buying some fresh meat there also.
They raise natural lean beef by crossing Limousin with Texas Longhorn.
Going to be interesting.
AD

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We were kind of disappointed visiting the farm but the meat we bought is absolutely delicious.
Farmer plain said: Listen it took us 20 years to figure out what we are doing and not going to share our success so that others can copy it in only a few years.
Fair enough but nothing to learn for me other than knowing that we find a nice place to buy our steaks till we are ready to raise our own.
AD

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
dirkwood said:
We were kind of disappointed visiting the farm but the meat we bought is absolutely delicious.
Farmer plain said: Listen it took us 20 years to figure out what we are doing and not going to share our success so that others can copy it in only a few years.
Fair enough but nothing to learn for me other than knowing that we find a nice place to buy our steaks till we are ready to raise our own.
AD
Well that stinks. I guess that they did that so someone doesn't take their business away from them, but nonetheless it shouldn't hurt to tell at least some little details about what they did and how they raised their animals. That's how you get people to understand where their beef came from and how those animals were raised before slaughter.

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
dirkwood said:
AD
Well that stinks. I guess that they did that so someone doesn't take their business away from them, but nonetheless it shouldn't hurt to tell at least some little details about what they did and how they raised their animals. That's how you get people to understand where their beef came from and how those animals were raised before slaughter.
I agree but don't blame them....his response came mainly after I asked him if he would sell me some calves.