First time butchering a goat coming up, and lambs in the future, wanting some advice.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always use a gambrel with our deer, whether pulling up in a tree ( or swing-set ) or using tractor bucket. We always gutted then skinned ( of course gutting is part of field dressing ). Split, then quarter. Have GOOD boning and skinning knives to use. We used a hacksaw to split beeves and deer and hogs.

For me, killing is always the hardest. Once the head is removed it no longer bothers me.
I once saw an outstanding series on how to process your own meat that was very detailed. Wish I could remember the name! Best of luck to you! My ex worked for a custom cut & kill butcher while going to college. It’s a great job!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We always gutted then skinned ( of course gutting is part of field dressing ).
True on field dressing! Definitely don't want those guts sitting in there very long - stuff starts happening, lol.

Also should mention that having a saw to help take off the bottom of the legs/feet helps. I have been known to use a sawzall, lol. If you don't have a saw you can use a pair of tree loppers/trimmers.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone!
I don't really have much to say, as I'm just reading, and taking everything in, so as to speak.
Also breeds differ as to carcass results bone/meat ratio and quality of meat as to tenderness. Meat/dairy breeds, etc.
He is a rangeland (feral) x angora, so somewhere between as far as meatiness goes, I think. A bit on the lanky side though.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the captive bolt made for goat? Horned or polled?
Hard to get through their heads, like men. Lol
Unless you're going through the side vs the X marks the spot way of doing it?
Deadweight is far harder to move than live, even live and on the ground refusing to move. Lol. So, do it under a tree or where you have the place to hang. Get a gambrel with pulley system to raise up. Hard, or maybe just weirdly awkward, to gut and quarter on the ground or table.
Big ice coolers, keep an eye on them. I see so many FB posts of people forgetting about them and the meat getting too warm or rotting.
Sharp knives and a sharpener makes it faster going.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
A century ago, I took a meat science class. We processed all sorts of animals and the professor used a captive bolt. That thing was a beast - it blew thru their foreheads like butter. The cows, pigs and lambs. We didn't do a goat tho.

For pig processing, go to YT and look up Just a Few Acres farm. He processed a sow a few years ago and showed all but the kill shot. Add that to Bay's teachings, and you'll glean even more information for processing your goat.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
A century ago, I took a meat science class. We processed all sorts of animals and the professor used a captive bolt. That thing was a beast - it blew thru their foreheads like butter. The cows, pigs and lambs. We didn't do a goat tho.

For pig processing, go to YT and look up Just a Few Acres farm. He processed a sow a few years ago and showed all but the kill shot. Add that to Bay's teachings, and you'll glean even more information for processing your goat.
I know they make them for rabbits and other small animals. Heard they make larger ones, but idk if powerful enough ones are sold to the public these days?

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is the captive bolt made for goat? Horned or polled?
Hard to get through their heads, like men. Lol
Its made for all larger animals, for goats and sheep to cows and horses. You just buy different size explosive thingummies. I got the ones which are sold for large goats and sheep to small cows, so I think it should be ok.
In the diagram showing how to use it on a goat, it has got horns.
Made in Germany, so should be good quality.
Unless you're going through the side vs the X marks the spot way of doing it?
It says to do it by going straight down (at a very slight angle) behind the horns. I think they have a softer spot there??
I know they make them for rabbits and other small animals. Heard they make larger ones, but idk if powerful enough ones are sold to the public these days?
They are, at least here any way.
This is the one I got, https://www.everythingid.com.au/ani...ughter-device-livestock-euthanasia-kit-p-1078

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And sorry if I ever seem at all light hearted about butchering, I'm not, at all, but its just how I process things.
Once I have made that decision, I just try to view it as another job that needs doing to the best of my ability, I guess thats how I cope with things?
I love that wether, (he is called Alan) but I also want to be able to have my own home grown meat, as well as not see him struggle in old age.
:confused:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
For me, I don't allow myself to become attached. No pet type feelings, act as a commodity. Good care but, always designated as freezer bound.

You have to be able to compartmentalize things in your brain. Sounds tough to many but, that's what happens if you raise for your food. 😔

In what country are you living?

Latest posts