First time butchering a goat coming up, and lambs in the future, wanting some advice.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We all have our coping mechanisms. I name my meat animals, pet them, love them, and give them the best care I can. Nothing wrong with being a little light hearted, what are we supposed to do? Cry 24-7? Don’t think so.

For me, I don't allow myself to become attached. No pet type feelings, act as a commodity. Good care but, always designated as freezer bound.

You have to be able to compartmentalize things in your brain. Sounds tough to many but, that's what happens if you raise for your food. 😔

In what country are you living?
I tend to think I might as well love them as much as I can while they are here, and then just do the deed without thinking about things to much. I tried staying detached, but it didn't work out to well, as it just made me feel more guilty. I guess every person is very different with this.
I live in NSW, Australia
So just waiting to get a freezer in the moment, and then I will get on with it.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I still haven't done it, as we haven't yet bought a freezer, (its about 150km to where we can buy them, so not something to just pop out for) and I didn't think there was that much of a hurry.
But now he's really taken a turn for the worse :(
I don't know if something else happen, or if something in his body has just given out, but he can hardly get about and isn't eating much at all. I think now I might just have to put him down.
I could harvest just the best bits, but as I don't really know whats wrong with him I think it might be better not to?
Would you still eat him, or just better to bury him?
Goats always seem to have something going wrong with them :(
I'm definitely not going to let him suffer any more, so either today or tomorrow I'll deal with him in one way or another.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rule of thumb, don’t eat sick animals. Put him down, bury him.
I’m sorry that he’s taken a turn for the worse.
Now you can get a freezer and be prepared to harvest your own meat. Get a meat grinder also, so you can grind those extra pieces into burger. Then you have the option of using the burger or adding a spice mix for pan sausage.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
And sorry if I ever seem at all light hearted about butchering, I'm not, at all, but its just how I process things.
Once I have made that decision, I just try to view it as another job that needs doing to the best of my ability, I guess thats how I cope with things?
I love that wether, (he is called Alan) but I also want to be able to have my own home grown meat, as well as not see him struggle in old age.
:confused:
I read an article once about 'why we name the beef steers'. I'm sure I can't express it as well as the author did but it talked about the animal deserving the same 'best life' that we give to the animals we care for that we don't intend to eat - it's just going to be shorter. They still get pets & scratches, they learn their names and come when called for treats.
You have done the best for him that you can. And the last kind thing we can do for any animal that is under our care is to relieve their suffering when the cause of it can't be cured. :hugs