First time dealing with scours. What do I give him?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give him at least a week... more like 10 days before giving him a 2nd dose.
One other thing, heat tends to make many animals "loose".
If you find a vet, ask their opinion before you even give a 2nd dose. They might not want you to give a 2nd dose, but to test them first.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Give him at least a week... more like 10 days before giving him a 2nd dose.
One other thing, heat tends to make many animals "loose".
If you find a vet, ask their opinion before you even give a 2nd dose. They might not want you to give a 2nd dose, but to test them first.
I did not know that about the heat. It had been unusually hot this time of year in TX. Texas summers are always hot, but we normally do not see above 100 until late July/August. This year it wasted no time getting above 100. I will call the vet and see what he suggests. Thank you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our cows are on grass so naturally "loose", compared to being on hay..... but in heat I see alot of the calves get more "loose" manure. They are eating less "solids" too... the heat will affect all the bodily functions.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our cows are on grass so naturally "loose", compared to being on hay..... but in heat I see alot of the calves get more "loose" manure. They are eating less "solids" too... the heat will affect all the bodily functions.
Thank you so much. I went out to check on them about 30 min ago and it seems that his stools might hardening a bit, but still not where they need to be. Hopefully he will continue to head in the right direction.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
A sudden heat spell can cause loss of appetite and loose stools. As long as there is no underlying medical reason for the scours, I just pull all grain (if you are giving it). More roughage is best to control scours. If he keeps scouring you can use Kaopectate. We refer to it here as the "Pink Stuff". I have used Kaopectate for years for scours in sheep and goats. You can get it in gallon size from animal supply stores, or just use the cheapest pink drug store stuff sold for humans. I give about 5-10 cc depending on the weight of the animal 2 x daily until the scours clear.