First time goat owner

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are going to be getting 2 young Nubian cross goats, around 2 months old. This is our first time getting goats, have had lots of animal just never goats.
What are some key things to be aware of? we are thinking of putting them on a grassy patch, do we need to worry about over grazing? What supplements/minerals do they need? Do goats need to have grain? I could just go on and on lol 😆

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are going to be getting 2 young Nubian cross goats, around 2 months old. This is our first time getting goats, have had lots of animal just never goats.
What are some key things to be aware of? we are thinking of putting them on a grassy patch, do we need to worry about over grazing? What supplements/minerals do they need? Do goats need to have grain? I could just go on and on lol 😆
They don't really like grass. Ours like trees and brush, Johnson grass. We give a small amount of sheep & goat feed in summer to keep them friendly (ours are pretty wild!). They hate being rained on! You'll need a salt block and plenty of water, and they love climbing. We have giant spools from the utility company plus an upside down water trough. They play on them, sleep on them etc. Very entertaining! Have fun with them!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are some key things to be aware of?
You need excellent fencing.

we are thinking of putting them on a grassy patch, do we need to worry about over grazing?
Yes.
What supplements/minerals do they need?
Goats will not meet their mineral needs from a mineral block. They need loose minerals made for goats.

you will need to look up if your area of the world has enough copper and selenium naturally occurring in the soil. If your area is low in copper or selenium, then the hay from your area will ALSO be low in copper and selenium. Same with local grain,, local brush.... etc

So... if your area is low.... for copper they get a copper pill to swallow, as needed.. Depending on your area, that could be every 6 months, or every year or two.

If your area is low in selenium, then they need a paste with Selenium (usually is it selenium and vitamin E) every month. OR, you can give an injection of selenium once a year.

Also.... way up here in Alaska vitamin D once a month is good. Being you are in Canada... some vitamin D might be good for them.

I had a mineral station set up with separate compartments for the loose minerals, baking soda, and kelp (in powder form)

Do goats need to have grain?

Usually only when pregnant or lactating.

Grain can be a great way to train or tame them. Just a handful every night when you lock them up. Way nicer if they run towards you.... I have no interest in chasing a goat.

Free choice hay is good. Especially if they are on a smallish grassy spot without much or any browse free choice hay is probably needed.

For the hay you will have to work hard to make a feeder that will hold the hay well... goats love to waste hay, and will not eat the hay once it is pulled onto the ground and soiled.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh... since they are not yet on your place... ask that they be fully wormed before you get them.

You want to start out with as few worms as possible.

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Yes.

Goats will not meet their mineral needs from a mineral block. They need loose minerals made for goats.

you will need to look up if your area of the world has enough copper and selenium naturally occurring in the soil. If your area is low in copper or selenium, then the hay from your area will ALSO be low in copper and selenium. Same with local grain,, local brush.... etc

So... if your area is low.... for copper they get a copper pill to swallow,, at needed.. Depending on your area, that could be every 6 months, or every year or two.

If your area is low in selenium, then they need a paste with Selenium (usually is it selenium and vitamin E) every month. OR, you can give an injection of selenium once a year.

Also.... way up here in Alaska vitamin d once a month is good. Being you are in Canada... some vitamin D might be good.

I had a mineral station set up with separate compartments for the loose minerals, baking soda, and kelp (in powder form)

Grain can be a great way to train or tame them. Just a handful every night when you lock them up. Way nicer if they run towards you.... I have no interest in chasing a goat.

Free choice hay though is good. Especially if they are on a smallish grassy spot without much or any browse.

For the hay you will have to work hard to make a feeder that will hold the hay well... goats love to waste hay, and will not eat the hay once it is pulled onto the ground and soiled.
How can you tell if one is mineral deficient?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How can you tell if one is mineral deficient?
Depends on which mineral is deficient.

Copper is nice and easy... hair grows in the wrong color, the tail gets what is called a "fish tail" and there is hair loss around eyes and nose.

Other minerals can have serious consequences if the animal gets low before it is clear that there is a deficiency. Selenium is a good example. You do NOT want to wait for signs of Selenium deficiency before supplementing with Selenium. So.... with Selenium, if your area of the world is low, you supplement.

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Depends on which mineral is deficient.

Copper is nice and easy... hair grows in the wrong color, the tail gets what is called a "fish tail" and there is hair loss around eyes and nose.

Other minerals can have serious consequences if the animal gets low before it is clear that there is a deficiency. Selenium is a good example. You do NOT want to wait for signs of Selenium deficiency before supplementing with Selenium. So.... with Selenium, if your area of the world is low, you supplement.
Thanks. I looked up symptoms of deficiencies in copper and selenium and since my girls are extremely healthy (and 4-5 years old) i think I'm good. (That and my vet has never mentioned it, nor friends with more experience than me). It's always good to learn something new

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Yes.

So... if your area is low.... for copper they get a copper pill to swallow, as needed.. Depending on your area, that could be every 6 months, or every year or two.

Also.... way up here in Alaska vitamin D once a month is good. Being you are in Canada... some vitamin D might be good for them.

Free choice hay is good. Especially if they are on a smallish grassy spot without much or any browse free choice hay is probably needed.

For the hay you will have to work hard to make a feeder that will hold the hay well... goats love to waste hay, and will not eat the hay once it is pulled onto the ground and soile

Yes.

Awesome, definitely answered a few question. Thank you very much.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alaskan covered everything perfectly.

What is your location? Different areas of the country are deficient in selenium. In southern California we are not. Yu need to check where your hay comes from.

Latest posts