First time goat owners - any advice appreciated!

Pandagram

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I don’t own goats, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :welcome

I wish I could get goats for weed control here, too, but it’s just not going to happen. I hope you are able to get some good weed eating goats!
Thanks so much - I hope so too! I'll post an update when it all comes together😊

Pandagram

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh.. also....

Maybe you could find a local someone that would let you borrow/rent their goats.
I have definitely considered this. But we have 2 Border Collies (who will of course be separated and trained appropriately) but I'd hate to spook someone else's animals if they got over-excited. Plus we'd love to keep them on as family pets🙂

Pandagram

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice, it's given us a great starting point. Here's a smidge of the growth we're dealing with here... this is about 4-5 months worth!

Attachments

• 20211207_115339.jpg
    20211207_115339.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 116

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second that a good milker in full milk is less likely to jump.

Jumping is also an individual personality thing. So, shop for a goat that respects fences.

Either way though.... I would stick 3 strands of electric on that fence, super strong, at bottom, middle, and top.

And.... if the goat you buy jumps the fence, sell her.

Agree! I have one who thinks she can fly, almost does. The other 12 stay where they belong....SHE is being sold!! Shame as a truly nice doe and I'd love to keep her but, I've had another who did this and one day...a leg got caught, compound fracture at ankle. Broke my heart but, she became freezer fill. Not doing it again! Some are just jumpers.

With that much forage, they won't be looking at fences! 😁😁. But you will be amazed at how much they can eat. 4 animals will take that out faster than you think.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, great to know! I'll definitely do further research into them. Is there much distinction in size or behaviour between does and wethers?
We don’t keep a wether on property so I would not know. If they are for market then they would be around the same size when you sell them. We have lucked out in only getting females so far.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is there much distinction in size or behaviour between does and wethers?
There are definitely some differences in behavior between wethers and does with wethers being much more ideal if you just want pets/weed eaters. Wethers are usually a bit bigger than does of the same breed. Does will come into heat about every 20 days if they are year round breeders/cyclers....most does are NOT at all pleasant when cycling - many are sooooooo loud they sound like they are being murdered! 🤣 So if you have close neighbors and don't want milk and/or kids, I think wethers would be a great choice for you!
Definitely thinking 2 goats and 2 dorper sheep at this stage. Weed/grass control is our main issue at present, the end goal with our property is to establish a permaculture based setup. The fencing at the top is just plain wire, not barbed.
We have a clean unused tool shed on the property which is made from steel with a concrete slab floor with double opening doors that I think would make a solid shelter (of course the floor would be well lined) We live in a subtropical climate so in the dead of winter at night the coldest it gets is about 50f.
Will absolutely check out the goat spot and keep learning, that's what I'm here for! Thanks heaps!
Sounds like a good idea to get both sheep and goats. Between the two species, they should clear your property up pretty nicely. Okay, that's good the wire isn't barbed. Sounds like the shelter will be perfect! I also have concrete flooring in my barn and really like it! Very easy to keep clean! I don't even have to put bedding down in the summer - they love to lay on the concrete to cool down. I honestly don't put bedding down until it gets around 40f- 50f or less and my goats do perfectly fine. I have a few elevated sleeping spaces for them, they are also litter boxed trained. The Goat Spot is fantastic! You're welcome! Can't wait to hear what breed you decide on!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are definitely some differences in behavior between wethers and does with wethers being much more ideal if you just want pets/weed eaters. Wethers are usually a bit bigger than does of the same breed. Does will come into heat about every 20 days if they are year round breeders/cyclers....most does are NOT at all pleasant when cycling - many are sooooooo loud they sound like they are being murdered! 🤣 So if you have close neighbors and don't want milk and/or kids, I think wethers would be a great choice for you!

Sounds like a good idea to get both sheep and goats. Between the two species, they should clear your property up pretty nicely. Okay, that's good the wire isn't barbed. Sounds like the shelter will be perfect! I also have concrete flooring in my barn and really like it! Very easy to keep clean! I don't even have to put bedding down in the summer - they love to lay on the concrete to cool down. I honestly don't put bedding down until it gets around 40f- 50f or less and my goats do perfectly fine. I have a few elevated sleeping spaces for them, they are also litter boxed trained. The Goat Spot is fantastic! You're welcome! Can't wait to hear what breed you decide on!
Never had a issue with a loud doe in heat. Mostly they just pee in front of the market lamb

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Never had a issue with a loud doe in heat. Mostly they just pee in front of the market lamb
Interesting. Do you have a buck? What breed do you have?

All four of my ND does are insanely loud when in heat, otherwise they are very quite. I do have do bucks... I know a lot of other people who's does are loud when in heat.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you have a buck? What breed do you have?

All four of my ND does are insanely loud when in heat, otherwise they are very quite. I do have do bucks... I know a lot of other people who's does are loud when in heat.
Nope, we have a breeder that we send the ladies too. We don’t have the space for a male. Maybe because we don’t have a buck?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, we have a breeder that we send the ladies too. We don’t have the space for a male. Maybe because we don’t have a buck?
What breeds?

My Nubian was always LOUD when in heat.

My Saanen was quiet, super hard to tell she was in heat. My mixes were quiet, but you could tell they were in heat.