First time kidding

horseymama2

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Emma.jpg Poppy2.jpg I am getting really excited and a bit nervous, I am expecting my first kids. I have two does that are due to kid within the next 30 days. They will bee my first births ever, besides the births of my children. ;-) I am thinking they might deliver in two weeks. I have my birthing kit already. I am just concerned because I work, and might not be home when they deliver. The black doe is Emma, she is a 2nd freshner who delivered twins without complications the first time. I got her when her first kids were two weeks old last year. The buff colored doe is Poppy, she is a first freshner who just turned 1 yr old. Both are bagging up, and Emma's rear end is beginning to swell. I have two stalls available I could lock them in to give birth if the weather is going to be an issue. We got 4 inches of snow yesterday, so I am concerned about weather. I am in NW Missouri, we are not in a Selenium deficient area. I have been reading kidding pages all over the web, but is there any other advice you more experienced goat herders can share? I can't wait to share baby pics when they are born.
Lisa

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome There’s a wealth of knowledge in these threads! A lot of this information has already been discussed but I’ll give you a few key pointers (I’m thinking you probably already know these if you’ve been doing research but never hurts to make sure.;))

-Check ligaments. Doe is usually within 12 hours when gone. Some ligaments come and go before staying gone. The correct way to check is posted most easily in one of these threads...
-Make sure kids get their faces uncovered and some colostrum within the first hour, if possible. You work so make sure they get colostrum ASAP. (Check the roof of the mouth to make sure there isn’t a cleft palate. Unfortunately, a kid with one would need culled.)
-Dip navels in iodine. I usually like to do 3 times to make sure I get them thoroughly.
-Keep kids warm! Some use sweaters, others heating barrels, some both. Our first choice is a heating barrel but depending on temps, we would use both.
-Make sure doe passes afterbirth.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things. I’ll try to tag you in a few posts that have good info.

Best wishes with kidding! We like pics around here so please post lots!

horseymama2

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess I will use this spot to keep a record of my first kidding season. I took some new pics of my girls so I can document their progress. I have included udder shots and barrel pictures so I can remember next year what they looked like as they progressed. They were exposed beginning Nov. 18, 2017, so day 145 is April 12th, but hey are full size so day 150 is April 17th. I saw breeding type activity again in early December, but I didn't see him complete the act ever. So the next cycle would have been around December 9th (no I didn't write it down, oops!) So the second date is approximately May 8th. My internet educated eye says they should be due in April... We'll see.... Emma's bag had completely dried up, and is beginning to get larger again, but it is still very soft and loose. Poppy's feels a bit tight, and her teets are so tiny!! I want to believe she will deliver after Emma, but I could be (probably am) wrong.
0405181739.jpg 0405180646.jpg 0405181819c-1 (1).jpgThe first three shots are Emma, 2nd freshener.
0405181744.jpg 0405180647.jpg 0405181819b-1.jpg Bottom three shots are Poppy, ff.
Maybe I should start a betting pool about delivery dates. :pop

horseymama2

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
0408180809-1.jpg Poppie's udder is getting bigger. Today I could see it from the side! :ep
Emma's udder looks the same, soft and not full, but I can see a drop of milk hanging from one teat. Does that mean anything in goats? It means horses are close to go foaling. :hu
Since I work and am gone from home several hours a day, should I keep them stalled once they get close? That way at least the babies will be out of the wind and cold if they are born unattended.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the weather. I can't recall where you're located (you should add at least your general location to your profile). If it's sunny out and during daylight, I'd let them do whatever they're normally doing now. No need to lock them up inside. :hu

horseymama2

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Should I let the goats kid in a 2 acre field? It is fenced with woven wire goat fence topped with electric. Gates are covered with wire also. No predators have been in there since we put it up (I haven't lost a free range chicken since). Or should I lock them in stalls? Put up cattle panels at the stall entrances to create mini paddocks to keep them in? We are getting close and I'm not ready....:weee:th
This morning Emma has no ligaments, but he bag isn't tight yet. Poppy only has 1 ligament, her bag is growing and tight, milk is starting to get down to the nipples. 150 days from first exposure is 6 days away......I am getting nervous! I work, I might not be home when the kid...What is your best advice?????:weeeThanks for your help!!!

Latest posts