First time lambing question!

d farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have done some reading before making this post, because I hate to ask the same newbie question over and over again. I have two Suffolk ewes (2 year and 1 year old), they where with a ram from Sept-Feb, I am pretty sure they are bred but don't know a date. About two weeks ago we noticed some swelling/slight color change in their back regions, and they are starting to look round in their middle areas. About how long til I should start noticing other signs of lambing? I am starting to get nervous, anxious and excited! Thank you for any help-

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
With no for sure date, about all you can do is watch and monitor. Look for udder development, though that may or may not happen in advance or how much in advance. Watch for them to start separating themselves from the rest. Pawing the ground, nesting, constant up & down, going off their feed... Maybe some of the Sheeple here will chime in with better things to watch for... or other indicators... Good luck and hope you'll share some pics when the time comes.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree with @Latestarter.
Maybe as you aren't certain when they are due you could get a few things ready that you might like to have handy when the big day arrives!
Its usually a natural process, of course, but if you have a look online or in a "sheep 101" type of book there are lists of things that might be useful to pick from. Adequate food /water /shelter (with some way you can light it if necessary) /comfort for Mum and babies is obviously the most important. Love to see pics too - my first lamb-now-sheep is a half - Suffolk (my avatar) so I have a soft spot for them!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I find that the surest sign of impending labor is how firm the tail ligaments are. They soften with time, and feel completely gone a day or less before birthing.

I don't have sheep... I have goats... but I just googled, and both sheep and goats have the same softening of the tail ligaments before birth.

The filling of the udder and some of the other signs can be all over the place time wise....

d farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I am keeping a close watch on both of my girls! I am noticing changes daily and so excited. I have been doing lots of reading and preparing for when the day/days come.

d farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1028FD62-D80D-45AC-A974-2B17F91322C9.jpeg
7921E493-FEBA-469E-A0D2-50176C6D5B2C.jpeg

Stella Rae & Jillie
Both of my girls are still holding out on me, not giving up waiting on babies! The one I have had the longest did seem a little grouchy today, but neither turned down food and hay!

d farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
have their tail ligaments softened at all? Or is it too difficult to feel them with all of that wool? :D
It's really hard to tell with all that wool! I know I can feel them on the smallest of the two, the other one I just can't tell!

Latest posts