First time lambing

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Morning everyone! New here and am desperate for help. I purchased 2 kathadin ewes from a set or triplets. Sadly we lost Nyra last week along with her twins. Ela i believe is very close. They were bred right before we got them, we dont have the dates but it was later July. Her udders are big and she looks like shes bagging up. Belly is firm, her hind end has loosed up. she is eating and drinking like she always has but she doesnt like being touched anywhere on her belly or tail. Just her head. she started acting that was the past few days. i have seen movemeng in her belly i know its alive but im concerned she might have twins or just might miss the labor. she is in my backyard i am stay at home mom with 3 and 2 yr old they can go with me to the barn. Right now she is seculded but her vulva looks puffy and is changing a bit. she only urinates a small amount and her breathing sometimes looks like small contractions, bracton hicks. i have never birthed sheep but have other animals with no problems other than lost chicks. I have pictures of her i need any advice i can get i was told to get mineral oil lube and replacer on hand before . i went back through pictures i just took of her and noticed her vagina got a bit bigger in some pics.
20170131_102614.jpg

Attachments

• 20170131_103535.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 139
  • 20170131_102517.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 118

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. I'm sorry that your present issues brought you to us. Also sorry you lost one of your ewes along with her twin lambs. That's a tough loss to take. Not knowing how you lost the one, I don't know if there's a danger of the same thing happening here. There are lambing threads and kidding threads (goats - very similar) on here that go through what to look for and the process, how/what/when/where/why etc. I see snow, but you don't say where you're located... once the lamb(s) are born it will be important for the ewe or you to get it/them dried off as quickly as possible and then attached to mom for some colostrum. Not sure why you have that blue tape/cloth/whatever tied around her tail... I'll tag some Sheeple who may be able to provide better/more detailed assistance to you.

@Sheepshape @purplequeenvt @norseofcourse @mysunwolf @Roving Jacobs @secuono There are others but this should be a good start... Good luck with your remaining ewe!

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We know how we lost the other ewe and it was a breech lamb we didnt know she was in labor while neighbors dogs chased her. i put vet wrap around her tail to get a better look at her without having to touch her. her mucus plug was coming out she has been showing signs all afternoon . we have her inside barn right now she was out today walking around. i am ready for the lambs just playing the waiting game

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hope you shot the dogs... or the neighbors... maybe both :somad:rantHopefully this one will be a smoother delivery with no chasing... sounds like she's pretty close. Good luck and keep us posted please.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter, you are going to scare off the newcomer saying that you hope she shot the dogs. We all know you are a softie at heart but she might not. While I agree that the dogs might deserve being shot it isn't the best way to keep peace with ones neighbors. ;)

@Novasark welcome to BYH from CA. I hope this lambing goes well. Sometimes the mucus plug can be a few weeks before they actually lamb. When you see a string of mucus, often amber in color, you will know she is ready. They will usually dig and "nest" and sometimes want to be alone. Other times they will want to be a lovey and super friendly, they are all different. Keep us posted.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
coulda sworn I put a :hide in there... musta forgot... :idunno:hide

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, this is the best place on the net. I hope your ewe lambs with no problems.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO sorry for your loss.......no guns here, but I'd mentally shoot them!:barnie

I can't open all your pics. (my 'fault', or rather the internet speed in these remote parts), but the first pic. (the only one I CAN open shows a very ready udder).

I personally would keep her in, but the plug can come away anything from minutes before active labour and a week before). If she's restless, straining to pee, and particularly if she starts pawing the ground with her front hooves ('nesting'), she's very close.

Most lamb births happen without a hitch. If breech, then it's important to make sure the face of the lamb is cleared quickly of birth membranes (and to make sure mum is licking the right end!).

Make sure she has plenty of energy by giving her supplements of glucose in some shape or form ( food sources which will provide quick-release carbohydrate...ewe nuts, lick etc ).

As Latestarter says, dry the lamb(s) off if it's cold and keep them and mum out of draughts/wet.

Very, very good luck and oh, forgot to say WELCOME.

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank goodness the neighbors were brought up. we are fighting right nw. we live on a 110 acres farm it's been in my hubby family for 3 generations now. we are currently running it. they just moved from the city a few years ago and they bought the house right next to where our horses and sheep are. they knew it was a farm whenot they moved they said they loved the aninals and country but then they started acting weird. let their huge dogs run into our front yard and crap, the guy cuts the lawn every 2 days in the season it's not healthy. they always rush inside the house when they see us. then we gave them a christmas present with an apology letter for the noise and chaos lately, we haven't been that noisy I just wanted to break the ice with them. well the wife called my MIL yelling at her over the tractors and trucks the animals all over the place, our roosters crowing, their dogs roll in horse **** and then eat it sometimes bring it inside. well that's what you get for letting your dog's run well off your property and bother my animals. I've been driving truck back to the barn sheep is in now just to make some more noise. We aren't doing anything illegal except caring for our animals. they move out to the country on half an acre and think they own the place. she said to me we never would have moved here if we'd know that crap would be in my backyard. funny thing is its not their backyard they have a fence around theirs which has a pool with no gate or secure fence. that's a huge issue. not my animals . our property runs behind their house and they think it's theirs.

Anyways as for mama . she has been pawing, licking belly, barely urinating, falling asleep standing up, more like dozing off. she won't let me touch her past her head. she is nesting in her hay, she just has this demeanor about her like I've done this before I'm taking my good Ole time. I'm pretty sure she'll go within a few days. she's still eating but is drinking more i added some supplement to her water. she has just been acting like she is ready I was to excited to think yesterday because I saw movement in belly. she is just hanging out. I did go behind the feed barn and she started yelling at me and tried to come with me. any time I leave she follows me and walks in front when I go to the gate like she doesn't want me to go. yesterday I sat down just petting her head for almost an hour she was string in the back of the field where her sister died. I felt her spirit, it made me so emotional. 6 years ago on superb owl night a family member burnt down our barn with small animals in it, they were all charred inside in front of the door..I can't take another loss. I know it's farm life but I feel I could have done things to prevent death so I will not let my Ela(eelah) have those babies without me!

Thank you for all the support my farm is my job I don't have much contact with people other than my 3 and 2 yr old and of course my animals . who needs friends?!

Last edited:

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will go check her again and get pics
20170131_103510.jpg
20170131_103510.jpg

Attachments

• 20170131_103932.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 20170131_102517.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110