First time mom tries to sit when baby tries to nurse.

GrammaJenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Having some trouble getting mom to nurse her baby After first couple of days. Got a milking stand, but mom wants to sit when baby tries to nurse. After a moment of propping her back up, she does fine, but worried that she won’t feed on her own. Baby is doing well and gaining, but I still worry. Thoughts?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I mentioned on your other post... some FF have trouble getting the hang of nursing... but then work through it and are fine.

Is she getting any better at letting the kid nurse?

Is her udder getting overly full, hot, warm, any signs of issues? If there are any udder issues, that will make her less likely to settle down for the kid.

In your other post, didn't you say that you were only putting mom on the stand twice a day? And only one morning the kid looked hungry, but otherwise the kid has been fine? If that is the case, then maybe the kid is feeding great... just not when you are looking. You might want to continue putting her on the stand... if you are planning to milk her... but if the kid is active, bouncy and healthy looking.... well...it must be nursing.

There are some does that LOVE to sit down when you try to milk them... so that is an important thing to train her to NOT do.

@Mini Horses any other thoughts?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope....it's just like you say. That babe would not be bouncing around if not eating. You can check its tummy a few times a day. If full you're good. I agree with you being concerned! But some FF moms need to get used to the situation....most do and are never like that again! If tummy feels full and it doesn't latch when on stand, it's full. 😁

Only other suggestion is to separate kid for a couple hours. Reunite and watch. Generally they go right to the milk....if that's a positive for you, try it. They nurse just a small amount, 6-8 times a day at this young age....sleep a lot. Later they'll eat more, less often, sleep less. 😊

GrammaJenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As I mentioned on your other post... some FF have trouble getting the hang of nursing... but then work through it and are fine.

Is she getting any better at letting the kid nurse?

Is her udder getting overly full, hot, warm, any signs of issues? If there are any udder issues, that will make her less likely to settle down for the kid.

In your other post, didn't you say that you were only putting mom on the stand twice a day? And only one morning the kid looked hungry, but otherwise the kid has been fine? If that is the case, then maybe the kid is feeding great... just not when you are looking. You might want to continue putting her on the stand... if you are planning to milk her... but if the kid is active, bouncy and healthy looking.... well...it must be nursing.

There are some does that LOVE to sit down when you try to milk them... so that is an important thing to train her to NOT do.

@Mini Horses any other thoughts?
I still haven't seen her nurse when not on the stand, but it is possible - I don't have a camera in there. She doesn't have any issues nursing on the stand. The only time her udder was really overly full was the very first time on the stand, but since then has been full, but soft. No warmth, swelling, redness. Baby nurses just fine (occasional head buts into the udder, which make me wince lol). Definitely lively and full of piss and vinegar. And yes, we have only been putting mom on the milk stand twice a day this week.