First time Momma

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And this is EXACTLY why I'm on this site...because of all the knowledge and experience. Thank you SO MUCH! It's greatly appreciated. I'll pick up some of the CDT this weekend!

I'm just guessing, but the dosing will be on the bottle? Especially for the little ones?

Seems my doe is craving some green grass, she's trying to fit her head through the bottom to grass near her pen. I have her on straight hay and some grain as a treat at night. Should I let her out once a day so she can roam? And lock the buck up during her play time?

My husband, son and I watched a couple very educational videos last night on kidding. Even my 10 yr old son watched, so in case he comes home from school before us he will know what is happening if she's kidding when he gets there.

With watching the videos I think she still has a good week or so...But like everyone on here has said, she will decide her time. I'm checking on her twice a day. Ligs still intact. And her bag is not as swollen as I feel it should be. Her vagina is not red or swollen, and there is no discharge.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The GoatVac vaccine (the one at TSC) has a dosage of 2ccs sub-q no matter what the breed, age, or body weight.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The GoatVac vaccine (the one at TSC) has a dosage of 2ccs sub-q no matter what the breed, age, or body weight.

Ok...I'll go tomorrow and pick it up along with some extra syringes.

Confession - watching the kidding videos has me VERY excited!!! :weee:pop:pop:pop:old

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kidding can be a very fun and stressful time LOL I'm excited for you! Last January we had 12 born within 24 hours. Talk about baby galore!

@Green Acres Farm I only use goat vac because the BarVac gave every goat a nasty lump and some even abscessed. We used it one season and it was awful. Didn't have any issues with the GoatVac. These are the only 2 CDT's we can get locally and I haven't felt the need to ship any in.

Our one vet uses BarVac all the time, she thought maybe we had gotten a bad batch. I'm not going give BarVac so I guess I'll never know.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
In case no one has mentioned it, keep your fingernails trimmed short, in case something happens and you have to assist. Chances are everything will be fine :)

If you're only checking on her twice a day, you are nowhere near ready. She will wait until you are going crazy, checking hourly, and up four times a night. Then she will pop them out when you take a five minute break for coffee :p

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
In case no one has mentioned it, keep your fingernails trimmed short, in case something happens and you have to assist. Chances are everything will be fine :)

If you're only checking on her twice a day, you are nowhere near ready. She will wait until you are going crazy, checking hourly, and up four times a night. Then she will pop them out when you take a five minute break for coffee :p
Totally forgot about the fingernails! It is such a normal thing for me it didn't cross my mind. My nails don't get long anyway :p

YES! During kidding season if I think a doe is getting close she is checked every hour throughout the night. I've been known to just sleep in the stall with them :hide
I'd rather sleep in the barn for a night or two than possibly loose a kid or doe. It is really nice to have insulated overalls during this time. ;)

Latest posts