First time pig owner in the Hi - desert California

Noemy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello my name is noemy..
I came across this site while looking for answers on how to take care of our pigs.. we're first time pig owners.. my uncle bought two pigs a couple months back turned out out one was pregnant and she had 14 pigs in one litter... the babies are about 3 months old now.. they are getting really big .. we want to sell them and im in charge of figuring out how.. i would appreciate some help.. its very much needed.. i dont even know where to start.. ive been told he can just take them to a local auction.. would that be the best option.? Can i post them online somewhere.? What do pig buyers look for.? Do we have to take any special steps like giving them vaccines or anything else.?
I would appreciate any kind of help you can offer..

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The auction would be easiest if you want to get them gone in one fell swoop. You just take your chances on what you'll get for them. Or you could put an ad on Craigslist and deal with strangers coming to your place and have to catch and load all of the pigs. If they're 3 months old they're probably getting pretty big. I don't vaccinate my pigs.

Noemy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do I have to deworm them.? Also, where can i go to figure out how much pigs go for in my area.?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would checkout the local craigslist in your area and see what prices are being paid for that age/size of pig....the breed type can and will make a difference in the price also. Another place that may be of assistance is your local extension office, they can tell you if there are local 4H shows that have pigs. You will have to check local and state laws that govern livestock transactions as to the requirements to meet to be able to sell....a simple google search can give ya that info.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As others have said... Craigslist. see what others are charging and base your price accordingly.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would call your local auction and ask them what the prices have been on them. Or you might be able to call a slaughter house or butcher shop and ask for price for live weight. Craigslist is hard some people post outrageous prices.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am in northeast Texas. I buy feeder pigs from Craigslist. Prices range from $40 to $100. Are your pigs weaned from the sow? If not, separate them and give her a rest. LOL

What breed are your pigs? If you post them on Craigslist, take pictures and post them. You can opt for email only and Craigslist will not post your own email, but a link that routes to your email. Or you can post your cell number and say text only. If you post your number (example) 555-one 9 zero-84seven three It keeps bots from reading your number.