First time sheering

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Certainly the @The Old Ram would be right about earning a few bucks shearing small numbers if you have the skill. It is very difficult to get shearers to do small numbers over here as the shearers mainly come from New Zealand for the season to do the big flocks. I have found a very nice man originally from New Zealand who now farms here but will do small numbers for a few bucks each as he used to be a shearer and all my friends who have small numbers of sheep have started asking him too. They are few and far between!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did that last year, went all over the place to shear small numbers of sheep. The drives were long and the return wasnt really much, the goal was to make the brand new shears pay for themselves and we me that goal. I think this year we will be staying more local.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day,the post by Girlies' Mum was interesting in that the U.K. has a national flock of 23 ml,compare that to the U.S.with about 5 ml.I don't know how many U.K.'s you can fit into the U.S.A. but I suspect it's quite a few,so it's the "density" of sheep which determines the viability of small scale shearing en-devours.What I would look for for are small acre holdings where they run just a few sheep,in Aussie there are many of these groups on the outskirts of capital city's and large country towns.The reason we went for Suffolk's in the first place was to market stock to these small holdings,who in the main would like to own some of these "pretty sheep" on their farm however small the acreage may be.

A few months of researching the available market can save "years" of breeding....T.O.R.

Latest posts