first time wool washer: live and learn

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think those cards will hold up at all, and they'd probably be a waste of money if you bought them just for wool. The tines on those cards are so thin and flimsy compared to actual wool cards, I just think they'd be way too flexible.

I guess you could try using a teeny bit of wool at a time on those cards and see how it goes, but I'd save the money and wait until you can buy actual wool cards.

Great job on washing the fleece, BBH! :D

Eliza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
where does one get wool cards. I have two skirted and washed fleeces residing in pillow cases. I need to card them though and thought that dog brushes would work, but I see you're point that they would be too flimsey???

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
You can do a search for wool cards on google. I'm sure many yarn supply places would carry them.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check with your local Weaver's Guild. They will know where you can get everything the Master Weaver I spoke with was very helpful. A lot of communities have wool and sheep festivals this time of year. Check and see if there is one near you.

Like this one near me...the traffic keeps me from being able to get out of my drive all weekend long.

http://www.kywoolfest.org/

Zoomom

Just born
Reaction score
Beautiful Fleece!

I got some nice carders at Webs. They sell Howard and Ashford brand, mine are a couple of years old now and are standing up really well. They were about $50 a pair at the time. Mine are the Howard brand meant for beginners.