First timer udder development.

Charjjc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, I have an ewe who is pregnant for the first time. I have been reading about signs of getting close to lambing and am hoping to get a little clarification.
I read of ewes who don't bag up until after or at time of lambing. And I've heard first timers have small udders. Does anyone have pictures for me to use as a comparison? I just don't want to miss a change if it's going to be small, my only experience is with dairy goats, and their udders were huge, lol! My ewe looks months away if I compare to the goats!
Here is my girl today. I posted another thread earlier to get help determining if she was pregnant, and all the answers I received were really helpful, so I am hoping there is a lot of udder wisdom out there!
20160905_171220.jpg
20160905_171218.jpg

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was my first timer katahdin dorper cross 3 days before she lambed. The entire week before she lambed her udder was growing very significantly. After she lambed, it got very large and full of milk. Every sheep is different, but if I were to guess I would say she has 1-2 more months.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This was my first timer katahdin dorper cross 3 days before she lambed. The entire week before she lambed her udder was growing very significantly. After she lambed, it got very large and full of milk. Every sheep is different, but if I were to guess I would say she has 1-2 more months.

View attachment 21472
Months?! I have heard from everyone else that the udder fills up at about 10 days before! I have a ewe who looks very similar to the first one posted (white one) and am wondering how long? Her udder filled up a lot today!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every ewe/doe is different. You get ones tend to be smaller & fill closer to kidding -- in general -- most fill significantly day of or before. If you had dairy goats, yes, huge udders! Especially if used to milk. 🤣

Most ewes are smaller bagged but I've seen some with something I'd milk -- katahdins esp. when the teats are taut and pointing, it'll be within hours. That's what I watch for on my goats -- teats loose, waiting. Teats tight, she's ready.

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Every ewe/doe is different. You get ones tend to be smaller & fill closer to kidding -- in general -- most fill significantly day of or before. If you had dairy goats, yes, huge udders! Especially if used to milk. 🤣

Most ewes are smaller bagged but I've seen some with something I'd milk -- katahdins esp. when the teats are taut and pointing, it'll be within hours. That's what I watch for on my goats -- teats loose, waiting. Teats tight, she's ready.
Ok! I am trying to prep for my lambing. I know this is a VERY old forum, but am wondering… how far out was she?!?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
When was she last with ram? How long with him before? My crystal ball needs help 🙄🤣 we can only guess. Give us a picture of your girl. If the white one from old date pictured was mine today, I say 30-45 days. BUT... I'm used to my goats. I watch daily and if filling fast, then teats are key to tautness and kidding for me. Was same with my horses & donkeys. Breeding dates are really helpful if we have them.

Last edited:

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When was she last with ram? How long with him before? My crystal ball needs help 🙄🤣 we can only guess. Give us a picture of your girl. If the white one from old date pictured was mine today, I say 30-45 days. BUT... I'm used to my goats. I watch daily and if filling fast, then teats are key to tautness and kidding for me. Was same with my horses & donkeys. Breeding dates are really helpful if we have them.
Lol sorry! I will get you one.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have ewes that will have udders like a soccer ball for 3-4 weeks before lambing. Drove me nuts. Them like @Mini Horses mentioned, I learned to watch the teats. The teats will get engorged and stick out sideways. And the normal hair on the udder seems to make a clear to bare ring around each teat. When I see that, lambing isn’t very far off, a week at the most.

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have ewes that will have udders like a soccer ball for 3-4 weeks before lambing. Drove me nuts. Them like @Mini Horses mentioned, I learned to watch the teats. The teats will get engorged and stick out sideways. And the normal hair on the udder seems to make a clear to bare ring around each teat. When I see that, lambing isn’t very far off, a week at the most.
Her udder is not very big, but it looks pretty tight. The teats are not very engorged, but they are sticking out to the side. Her udder is hairy, but not around her teats. There is about an inch of space around them without hair. (Hoping we are close!)