Fishy’s Rabbitry 😊

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome info @Niele da Kine and @Kusanar! I thought about a website to make myself more legit, but am feeling disappointed in the lack of response for the rabbits in general. I had two responses in two weeks. One wanted one for Easter despite the wean date, in my ad, being 4/23; and one wanted pedigreed. I think rabbit shows are starting back up, so I’ll check them out. I want to see how well they fit the standard anyway.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For pedigreed, are your rabbits purebred? If they are, then start writing down their ancestors and in several generations, you'll have fully pedigreed rabbits. Rabbit generations are pretty quick, after all.

I use Kintracks, it's a brilliant database for breeding pretty much any animal. It's a free download and you can use it for quite some time before you have to pay for the key to unlock it and even then it's not expensive at around $20 Australian which is less in U.S. dollars: https://kintraks.com/

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As far as folks wanting rabbits, sometimes there's a list of waiting folks and then sometimes it seems nobody wants them. Generally, I have them listed on their website (http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/pages/available/available.html) if they're available as well as listing them on the "In the Nestbox" page as sort of a preview of what may become available soon: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/pages/nestbox/nestbox.html . It takes a bit to keep the pages updated, having a website means adding content to it whenever possible to keep it fresh.

When there's more rabbits than folks wanting rabbits, I'll list them as available on Craig's List although most of the CL ad is a link to the website. CL doesn't allow pet sales, but livestock sales are okay. FaceBook doesn't allow animal sales, so folks will post pictures of their bunnies and then folks will private message them for more details.

What advertisement options do you have in your area? If you buy bunny feed from the feed store, they will frequently have a bulletin board where you can post hardcopy ads for bunny sales.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I could have paid extra for the pedigree when I bought mom and dad, but didnt. These are the only two I have right now. I was planning on buying one more doe to expand the bloodline after I sold this litter.
I pretty much only have CL, but forgot about the bulletin boards. Thanks for the reminder 😊. Not that I want to attribute to impulse shopping, but was expecting more interest around Easter.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Will they still sell you the pedigrees if you pay the extra? Might be worthwhile to get the paperwork if they don't ask much more. Otherwise, it sounds like they are at least purebred. If you know the colors of the parents or anything else about them, you can make that their parent's name on the pedigree you start for them. Add in the rabbitry name of the folks you got them from and use that as an entry? "Rabbitryname Black Doe" or some such? Within several generations, you'll have a complete pedigree on them.

The bunnies here are island bunnies, so there's not a lot of other available breeding stock. Someone I'd sold a doe to brought in an unpedigreed 'wooler' buck from someone in a FaceBook spinner's group. All I know is that he at least looks English, but I've only seen pictures of him since he's on a different island. He was bred to the doe I'd sent and an offspring of that pair was the buck used here to decrease the levels of inbreeding. So that buck at least had half a pedigree. Since then, there's been several generations so the offspring is now back to being fully pedigreed.

FWIW, I don't sell rabbits around Easter time. It's a bad idea to put a bunny in a basket of candy and then hand it to a kid. Sugar amped kids mixed with young bunnies is just a recipe for a disaster.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely not a good mix. Even if they were ready I would not have released them until a few days after. I have a similar-ish issue with breeding stock. This is not a common breed so finding “fresh blood” will be a challenge. I know blackcat paddock has some, so sometime in the future they could be a good source.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just had to get a pedigree designed cuz some guy wants a “nice pedigreed buck”. He would only buy one if it came with a pedigree 🤷🏻‍♀️ Oh well, I was hemming and hawing about it anyway 🤣

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did try to get a pedigree for the parents but that guy now said he doesn't have any. ??? And he’s getting out of rabbits.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First dose of eye ointment went well for my buck. Whew! I knew he should be okay, but it still made me nervous.

Im not sure if the babies are thriving. They look great and act great, but they arent nearly as big as their parents were when I brought them home at (supposedly) 8 weeks. They're barely two pounds.

Latest posts