Fishy’s Rabbitry 😊

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got Maggie in with Spyro too. Phew! That one went a little better. She didn't put up nearly the fight Zelda did. He had one fall off, but a couple of times he stayed on but was limp. It was funny 🤣. Unless that is a bad thing? :hide
Ive never had two does bred at the same time. Is it okay if their cages are right next to each other? For the whole duration? Thats how they have been arranged but I don't know if babies will throw a wrench in that arrangement.
When should I try to rebreed, just to check if they are pregnant? A couple of days or an entire week?

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My buck does the same thing. Sometimes he will be pumping away and then just stop and lay on her back for a minute to rest lol. I don't consider it a bad thing but it def doesn't count as a fall off. Seems to me to just be part of the "dance".
As far as adjacent cages. Is it the two does that are next to each other or doe and buck? I have two double cages. I keep my girls next to each other, and the buck and grow outs in the other double. I have had both does produce litters with their cage attached to the other doe and haven't had a problem. I have read that a doe and buck next to each other can breed through the wire so I try to keep them separated.
Personally, I don't check for pregnancy by rebreeding. It is not an exact thing and I don't find it worth it. Every single time (4 so far) that my buck had has ONE SINGLE FALL OFF my doe was pregnant. If you are really anxious and want to confirm pregnancy I would suggest learning how to palpate. That simply means feel the belly for embryos with your fingers. It is often more accurate than the rebreed test and you can even get an idea how many babies are in there once you get good at it. There is a ton of info out there including how and when to do it. Look it up if you're interested!

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My buck does the same thing. Sometimes he will be pumping away and then just stop and lay on her back for a minute to rest lol. I don't consider it a bad thing but it def doesn't count as a fall off. Seems to me to just be part of the "dance".
As far as adjacent cages. Is it the two does that are next to each other or doe and buck? I have two double cages. I keep my girls next to each other, and the buck and grow outs in the other double. I have had both does produce litters with their cage attached to the other doe and haven't had a problem. I have read that a doe and buck next to each other can breed through the wire so I try to keep them separated.
Personally, I don't check for pregnancy by rebreeding. It is not an exact thing and I don't find it worth it. Every single time (4 so far) that my buck had has ONE SINGLE FALL OFF my doe was pregnant. If you are really anxious and want to confirm pregnancy I would suggest learning how to palpate. That simply means feel the belly for embryos with your fingers. It is often more accurate than the rebreed test and you can even get an idea how many babies are in there once you get good at it. There is a ton of info out there including how and when to do it. Look it up if you're interested!
Thanks! Yes, the two does are side by side. There is always a bit of a gap between my cages so unless he is incredibly well endowed Im not concerned 🤣🤣
I have heard those stories too and would be very interested in their cage setup, etc.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there's an inch or two gap between the cages, the does should be fine and a buck can't breed through the wire. If there's no gap, the buck could reach a cooperative doe, it does happen. Also, any gender rabbit could bite through the cage to the neighbor, I have had that happen in my early setup. Not good for the rabbit as they end up with less useable space in their cage as the aggressive/dominant one bites at the other whenever they are close.

I would recommend breeding the rabbits again about 6-8 hours after their first encounters, if the buck is up to it. I usually aim for 3 fall offs total between the two encounters to ensure pregnancy, most of mine I've had weren't pregnant after only a single fall off and I wasted a month waiting for babies that weren't coming.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just sold the last :bunny:bunny from this litter:celebrate

Hopefully both my does are due in a few days :fl:fl I cannot find any nest boxes I guess i could use cardboard boxes? Id rather not but have heard others doing so.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cardboard boxes work just fine. Try to get, or cut down to size, the box in the right size for your doe. Yeah it is going to get wet, pooped in and everything else, but it is only a one time use and should last long enough.

I've used cardboard to line my wire nest boxes with great success. Yes the doe, and kits when old enough will probably gnaw on the cardboard so try to use plain cardboard, not laminated stuff like a cereal box, but the good old fashioned shipping boxes.

Please keep us posted on your does' status and, naturally, pictures of the kits.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cardboard boxes work just fine. Try to get, or cut down to size, the box in the right size for your doe. Yeah it is going to get wet, pooped in and everything else, but it is only a one time use and should last long enough.

I've used cardboard to line my wire nest boxes with great success. Yes the doe, and kits when old enough will probably gnaw on the cardboard so try to use plain cardboard, not laminated stuff like a cereal box, but the good old fashioned shipping boxes.

Please keep us posted on your does' status and, naturally, pictures of the kits.
Thanks for the info! I will def post pics

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh! I got nothing from either doe :barnie
Im really not sure if I want to breed again now and have littles during the really cold months or wait until Feb or March. Problem is, Im afraid I may miss my window of trying to stick to the cooler months for breeding. Again :hide

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many days after the breeding is it now?

What is the weather forecast in your area in a month to month and a half? I forget your setup, are they outside, and could they be brought inside or into a garage or something right around the due date?

Once the kits are here and in the nest, usually they are fine, and after 2 weeks are fuzzy enough to withstand most cold temps. It's just when they are born they are most vulnerable.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How many days after the breeding is it now?

What is the weather forecast in your area in a month to month and a half? I forget your setup, are they outside, and could they be brought inside or into a garage or something right around the due date?

Once the kits are here and in the nest, usually they are fine, and after 2 weeks are fuzzy enough to withstand most cold temps. It's just when they are born they are most vulnerable.
Not sure about the forecast that far ahead, but I keep hearing its going to be a bad winter. Usually, at least the last several years, its been fairly mild until around January and then it starts getting to be winter. They are outside and there really isnt a space for them to be inside. I can put up wind breakers where they are so that will usually be enough. We had rexes during the -20’s several years ago and they were just fine with extra hay and wind breakers, but they weren't being bred.
I’ll give it another shot then 😊