Fist Livestock on our Homestead

SpaceBus

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our chicks got here yesterday, so it's been an exciting week!

Attachments

• DSCF0858.JPG
    DSCF0858.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF0864.JPG
    DSCF0864.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 328

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love your alpacas. They are beautiful animals. I don't have any, no plans to get any, so i will admire yours. Their wool is so soft, are you going to learn to spin the wool?

"No more hobbies!" That is a direct quote from Mr. Muldrow....:weeeSo, no, I will not be learning anything to do with the fiber. I will be sending it to a mill for processing.
He loves me enough to get me Alpaca.....which I will be putting that story in my journal, which I will be starting in a few days, but not enough for me to start ANOTHER hobby!! :bunny

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I generally have so many irons in the fire that i run from one to another. I must have the attention span of a gnat. At least it keeps me from getting bored LOL. I like to learn new things. That is why I do not have fiber animals. I would have to get a spinning wheel, learn to spin, then learn to knit and crochet, somewhere along the way, learn how to dye the wool or fiber.......... you see where this is going, don't you? There is even a Spinners Guild the next county over, less than 10 miles from me.......sigh........ Even I have to recognize that another animal species would be too much for our little farm. We have 4 horses, 12 ewes and a ram, layer chickens, twice a year Cornish Cross chickens that we butcher, 2 feeder pigs (sell one, keep one), a steer is coming in August and 5 big dogs to keep the coyotes away. Pity my poor husband! :lol: Oh, and a big 100'x75' garden!

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exactly!! I am trying put out a few fires so this doesn't continue to be my life on a daily basis! The fiber is a once a year thing and right now, I only have 6 girls. The only other livestock we are planning to add is beef, in a year or so. The goats come with a STEEP learning curve, the donkeys have been a breeze (knock on wood) and the chickens have been time consuming but the Alpaca........well, they are fun, funny, aloof, interesting and very cool.....but by far, our newest baby, River, our baby donkey, has been the most amazing thing....he is so cute. I mean, I love the kids, they are precious but a baby donkey.....oh, my.....
20200515_142306.jpg
20200525_112540.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have to get a spinning wheel, learn to spin, then learn to knit and crochet, somewhere along the way, learn how to dye the wool or fiber.......... you see where this is going, don't you?
Of course we do ... a weaving loom! Big floor model.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So 2 of our Alpaca got pinkeye. Godiva had it in her left eye and Pearl in her right eye. It is almost 100% completely healed now but this is what we did:
Colloidal Silver morning and evening for 3 days, little improvement. Contacted vet, 2 SQ shots of antibiotics, 48 hrs apart. Day 7, not much improvement. LA 200, 1 ml directly in affected eyes, next day, obvious improvement. LA200 1ml directly in affected eyes ( day 2), next day, almost completely cleared eyes. No more treatment. Eyes back to normal. This was stressful all around. Pearl doesn't seem to be upset with us but Godiva is livid that we even attempted to doctor her. I abhor facebook but my dil is in an Alpaca group. She asked about putting LA200 directly into their eyes and was lambasted about it. We have used LA200 in our goats eyes (I love The Goat Spot) per info from TGS. Worked like a charm but most of the time, Colloidal Silver works. I am just curious of y'alls opinions on LA200 directly applied to eyes?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
LA 200 and 300 burns/irritates. That is why people did not respond well. We use either TODAY or TOMORROW mastitis medicine directly in/on the eye. A tube will last for several days, just squirt a bit so that it coats the eye. It is actually soothing. It does not burn sensitive tissue as it is used up a teat on a lactating cow/goat.... We will use LA200 as a shot sq. but it still burns. Or Draxxin as a shot and it does not burn or irritate.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That makes sense and I appreciate the info very much! Thank you. Not one single person offered any other advice but they were quick to condemn. I have to say, neither Alpaca reacted negatively and 2 days cleared them right up, Thank God, as, I was worried about their eye sight. I have tried to make sure we have everything on hand that we need to treat so I will get Today and Tomorrow for my medicine cabinet! Thank you!!