Flat collar or slip lead for bringing home kids?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right now they are in the barn because of this horrid arctic weather we’ve been “enjoying.” I went out this morning take warm water out and the goats were no where to be found...in a locked barn, so I just about had a heart attack. Then my husband found them: I guess they got cold last night because they had built a straw cave under their sleeping bench and tucked it in around themselves.

That is pretty cute and funny. The arctic weather needs to go! Where abouts are you from if you dont mind saying? I used to have about 120 poultry...now we have around 15 but will build back up

Grandma Betty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That is pretty cute and funny. The arctic weather needs to go! Where abouts are you from if you dont mind saying? I used to have about 120 poultry...now we have around 15 but will build back up
We are in western Missouri.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi @Grandma Betty, welcome to the herd and congrats on your new babies. my suggestion would be to keep them in the barn in a small area until they get tamed down. take a bucket, chair or whatever you like to sit on and just sit in their stall with them, talking to them, moving slowly and giving them treats. goats by nature are greedy little things and I have found that the way to their heart is thru their stomach. take it a day at a time and they will get used to you. in this case patience is a virtue. good luck

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are in western Missouri.

isnt missouri warm* right now?

*above freezing

Hi @Grandma Betty, welcome to the herd and congrats on your new babies. my suggestion would be to keep them in the barn in a small area until they get tamed down. take a bucket, chair or whatever you like to sit on and just sit in their stall with them, talking to them, moving slowly and giving them treats. goats by nature are greedy little things and I have found that the way to their heart is thru their stomach. take it a day at a time and they will get used to you. in this case patience is a virtue. good luck

I agree....i bribe all of our goats/sheep.