Flat collar or slip lead for bringing home kids?

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Make yourself at home and if you have questions, just ask away! There's already a wealth of info, experience and knowledge shared in the various threads. Browse around a bit and jump right in when you hear the call!

Hello and thank you!! I can't wait to become an active member with goats to share! Can't wait for the first 2 to come home.. and once I get the kinks worked out and figure out how to be a good goat-er ... we can upgrade to a couple more and potentially some larger fibre breeds .. etc.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will share more on our goat run as soon as we get it looking good.. which is looking like we will be starting that in spring as snow is supposed to start flying here any minute now!

Here is our pre-chickens coop before we added the top to the run -- and some better ventilation.
1Fai5Vw.jpg

Harvest day -- one of our plots and our green house. The chickens get to free range with us when we were are out in the yard. My partner works week on week off camp work -- so they get a good week and then a week of just weekends and evenings when my work days are done.

T62HX03.jpg

What it all looked like when I first started -- didn't spend a dime. Used all things found or that we already had to spruce it up to the thing of beauty it became!

J9Ogujx.jpg
yLFDxOL.jpg

Chickens are so helpful, especially when you want to dig a hole. Only takes about 4x the time so you don't stick the shovel in them as they dash in to snag something you don't even see.

Nice job on the coop and run. I always forget to take the "before" pictures.

:welcome If you put your location in your profile, people won't have to ask where you live :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! Goat math! We don't get tired of pictures, really. Good for you being prepared ahead of time. As for the collar question... I don't typically put collars on my goats, but if I have a doe that isn't great about following me to the milking stand, I do. If you're going to pick up kids, won't you just physically pick them up? My buckling rode in my lap for an hour and a half in the car when we brought him home, lol. I would be careful leaving collars on if your goats have horns but if not I guess it's a matter of preference... My goats come running when I go see them so I can slip a collar on if I need one for a specific purpose. Works for me.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us, thanks for sharing all the pictures! Very nice looking garden :thumbsup we took this year off from planting a garden but hope to next spring.

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Chickens are so helpful, especially when you want to dig a hole. Only takes about 4x the time so you don't stick the shovel in them as they dash in to snag something you don't even see.

Nice job on the coop and run. I always forget to take the "before" pictures.

:welcome If you put your location in your profile, people won't have to ask where you live :)

I will update! Thanks!

Oh my, I almost got one at Halloween time trying to slice a pumpkin in half with a shovel! Patience little bird!

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes! Goat math! We don't get tired of pictures, really. Good for you being prepared ahead of time. As for the collar question... I don't typically put collars on my goats, but if I have a doe that isn't great about following me to the milking stand, I do. If you're going to pick up kids, won't you just physically pick them up? My buckling rode in my lap for an hour and a half in the car when we brought him home, lol. I would be careful leaving collars on if your goats have horns but if not I guess it's a matter of preference... My goats come running when I go see them so I can slip a collar on if I need one for a specific purpose. Works for me.
My drive home with the goats is 16 hours in one day! We live in a rural spot... So we will have a few stops for leg stretches etc. That was going to be my next post: long transportation on young kids. Any recommendations?

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us, thanks for sharing all the pictures! Very nice looking garden :thumbsup we took this year off from planting a garden but hope to next spring.
We had agreat grow this year! Potatoes, onions, cauliflowers, cabbages, green beans, soy beans, fava beans, corn, beets, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, pumpkins, zucchinis, kale, butter lettuce! It was so warm this year so having eggplants actually do well was a first!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes. Why so far? I live in a rural spot too but the farthest I have gone for a goat is 2 hours. What state are you in?

Make sure they have water and hay. Not sure what else but wow that's a long trip!