flea collar for goat?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I assume that goats can get fleas. Can you put a flea collar on them?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
They can...not likely...but anything is possible. They are more likely to get lice or mites...mostly in winter.

I wouldn't put a flea collar on goats...they are likely to try to eat it...and I wouldn't want mine to eat a flea collar.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I called my dad about it and he said that goats do not get fleas or ticks. It's something to do with the scent of a goat. He said in the many years he has had goats he has never seen a flea on them, and any ticks never attached. I thought it was quite interesting to hear. I just assumed since it had fur it could get fleas and ticks. You learn something new every day!

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess I should share that with the ticks that attached themselves to our goat this summer. :lol:

No fleas though

adegiulio

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, my goats have a few ticks attached to them. Does anyone have any input on how to prevent this with goats?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
It took a couple of years buy my chickens and guineas (started with three, now have only one) took care of all the ticks on my property. I have a few that migrate in from the neighbor's brushy area on one end of my pasture. That is the area that is fenced off and used to wean the kids in the spring and the closed fence keeps the poultry out, so I see the occasional tick on a kid's ear. Once the kids are sold the hens have access to that area again (or if there are a few rainy days in a row) and the ticks disappear.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I occasionally see ticks on my shaggy dog, rarely on my short haired dog, and never on the goats. Not saying they *never* get them, but if they do it's rare. And I've never seen fleas on them (the goats).

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ChksontheRun said:
I guess I should share that with the ticks that attached themselves to our goat this summer. :lol:

No fleas though
Yup... I have picked several ticks off my black goat... oddly the boers and the blend (also white) did not have anything... as a matter of fact my white border collie (he has reverse collie colours) does not get as many creepy crawlies on him as the shepherd or american cocker... both dark/black!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had several goats this spring who looked like their ears had been bedazzled, they had so many ticks on them.. I use CyLence pour-on (1ml/25lbs) for that, which lasts for about 3 weeks to a month or so.. If that doesn't work, I'd suspect a shot of ivomec would be highly effective against ticks...but I've never had CyLence *not* work, so I wouldn't know.

CyLence is good stuff. :)

Toby Baillon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goat gets ticks (garapatas) in the Canary Islands. She is a black nubian goat, short hair. I have a Bayer flea and tick collar on her now and have found one tick on her since yesterday, when the collar went on. I went to my pet vet but they couldn't recommend anything other than the name of a ruminant vet - who i am now getting in touch with. My goat is a pet.

Attachments

• IMG_7037.JPG
    IMG_7037.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 493