Fleas on goats

chrisarvor

Just born
Reaction score
Help please
this week we have found flea bites on our body,my wife an i,,
I have goats but these black fleas are something i have never heard of or seen before

Could they have come in on some Lucerne???
But i am now stripping off my clothes before coming back into the house,,not a pretty sight for the neighbors
Dont have cats or dogs just 10 goats and 3 sheep

i have ordered some stuff they use on dogs pestigon to try but need help please

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unusual for goats to have fleas. Lice would be more likely... either way do you see them on the goats and sheep?
Any of these can be found at your feedstore
~Permethrins 10%
~Cylence
~Sevin Dust

Treat bedding areas with Diatomaceous Earth

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unusual for goats to have fleas. Lice would be more likely... either way do you see them on the goats and sheep?
Any of these can be found at your feedstore
~Permethrins 10%
~Cylence
~Sevin Dust

Treat bedding areas with Diatomaceous Earth

I think my goats have lice. Looks very similar to a tiny flea, not see through like a human louse. Could be due to feeding though. About 1/4 size of pin head. Tried to get a pic but too small to see any detail.

Goat signs are stomping erratically and we’ve noticed some scratching. There’s also some hair that’s been rubbed off where the ears connect to the head on two does.

Are all of these treatments safe on pregnant and/or lactating does in your experience? Also, am I on the correct path of treatment based on my description?

Note: I did check the dogs for fleas (no itching but wanted to check) and no evidence of fleas on any of the dogs.

Note Two: Some of the cows do have lice. They’ve been treated with an ivomec pour-on.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it is cold there still which I am sure it is i WOULD RUB de INTO THEIR COATS AND THE KIDS COATS TOO. Freaking stupid caps lock... sorry not typing that all over again. :p

I really like DE when it is cold. Generally when we use the permethrins mix we basically bathe the animal - so that is nice in warm weather and even better when clipped.
You can put the DE in the bedding too. It takes some time but works great!