Fleas ?

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Where I live fleas are awful all summer long and ticks if a dog gets near a tree or on the hills .
I have used frontline but i just think i need something else . I was on petsmart looking at the ratings and advantage II seemed alot better ? Any advise ?

I prefer Revolution but I want to try and get the best possible . :idunno

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanls alot ! We have alot of fleas around here . A shih tzu i recently adopted is covered and was like that when we got her . I tried dawn like everyone said but it didnt work so i will try these things tomarrow . My pitbull is allergic to flea bites and gets sores when bitten . She dosent have any now though and neither does my chi , just the shih tzu !

Its really frustrating ! Btw how much do you put on them ? Like for a 65 pound dog ? I dont wanna put too much but I want enough , sorry if im confusing .

I have tried alot of sprays , shampoos,dips,collars and drops . The only one I had some luck with is revolution but for 3 dogs thats about $200 and I need something a little cheaper for now , so def . gonna give this a try .

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you are not opposed to using chemicals, the one I found that works the best is a pill you get from the vet called Comfortis. My vet charges me $17 for one pill that treats 60 to 120 pounds. I calculated exactly how many grams of a pill each of my dogs need and bought a gram scale on Ebay (get one that does grams to 2 decimal places because little dogs get a really small part of that pill). A single pill treats my pit bull (65 pounds) and my chihuahuas (3 and 10 pounds) with enough left over to do them almost a second time. You are supposed to treat them monthly, but I find that a single dose lasts around 6 weeks during flea season. It does not work for ticks though. i get Preventix collars for that. One collar lasts all summer. I have been using comfortis for 2 summers now and have had no ill effects on the dogs at all.

hillbillycitygirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
diatomaceous earth. its amazing stuff, works wonders and is all natural. I use it on everything from my house, dogs, cats, goats, horses, chickens, even in my garden to keep bugs away. As long as you get the food grade you can even eat it and help with intestinal parasites etc. I feed it to my animals and put it on them. you can buy it at most local feed elevators (feed mills) and sometimes at tractor supply. Just ask around. I get 50# for 30$

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I tried DE on my dogs and it didn't do anything but annoy me.

I'm all for natural when it works but I despise fleas and other external parasites.

I agree with the Comfortis for maintenance. You can get rid of all the fleas on the dogs quickly by buying a tablet of Capstar (it only lasts for 24 hours). You also need to treat the environment...all floor surfaces and all soft surfaces and retreat in 10-14 days.

For the dog that is allergic, I would be giving children's liquid benadryl until you get rid of the flea problem.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
I tried DE on my dogs and it didn't do anything but annoy me.

I'm all for natural when it works but I despise fleas and other external parasites.

I agree with the Comfortis for maintenance. You can get rid of all the fleas on the dogs quickly by buying a tablet of Capstar (it only lasts for 24 hours). You also need to treat the environment...all floor surfaces and all soft surfaces and retreat in 10-14 days.

For the dog that is allergic, I would be giving children's liquid benadryl until you get rid of the flea problem.
I have been cause thats what the vet told me to do . But theres no fleas on her, just the shih tzu we rescued andi havent seen any in the house , im going to bathe them all today and use mre flea spray and stuff . And capstar is $20 here plus to get in the office is $25 so i dont have $45 for it to only last 24 hours, I have used it once when my pitbull was a pup.

Where can I get comfortis ? And I dontorder online , and I have never seen it around here ?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:ep

Yikes! My vet will sell me one pill of Capstar for $2.50...no office charge!

And I can get Comfortis from my vet's office.

You might wanna shop around and find a vet that is willing to sell you flea medications without an office visit...that's ridiculous!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wash the dog bedding in hot water, bomb the house every floor, every two weeks for 6 weeks to get fleas gone. Dogs get washed in
flea shampoo, wear flea collars and outside areas are treated with Sevin garden dust. You want to remove the adult fleas and kill
off the hatching fleas of each cycle pretty quick to prevent more eggs. If you have carpets or rugs, those need cleaning a couple times during
that 6-week cycle to remove fleas and eggs. Indoor cat is also bathed a couple times, wears a flea collar, removed from house when it is
bombed with bug killer stuff. I put her in a small crate out in the barn and totally aired out the house before letting her back inside.

We are not in a sandy area, which is horrible in dry years for fleas. So the above method has been helpful to me in staying
pretty flealess. I think having vinyl floors, washing the pet bedding often, washing doorway rugs, is the biggest help in removing fleas
and keeping them gone. If I thought only one dog had fleas, that one would have a bath immediately! I HATE feeling fleas on me!!
Then I would be checking that dog often, to make sure it stayed flea-free. Clipping hair short could help too, less flea cover.

ICK to fleas in the house!!