Fleas ?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If you're not using something that lasts for 30 days then you want to make sure and retreat in 10-14 days...both the dog and the environment. This is to get any newly hatching eggs. Lots of things take care of the fleas but not the eggs so you gotta get them when they hatch. I like to do things that that in a round of three...helps guarantee that I don't get a re-infestation (whether it be fleas or lice or mites)

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I went out and bought some oatmeal shampoo to soothe the skin and some frontline(THE SPRAY KIND) at the vets office cause they said for fleas it was best . Im going to give it a try ! :) Wish me luck lol

EDIT: So I bathed all 3 dogs in flea shampoo that dosent work that well,then I used the oatmeal shampoo to heal and soothe where the fleas have bit them so much . Then I sprayed the frontline on ,no diging , biting,scratching or anything so far and its been 3 hours ! Im so glad I went and got this today,the dogs are so happy and itch free !

I HATE DROPS ! Which is why I got the spray works 100 times better IMO . :D SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!
Althought it got more expensive,a tiny bottle not sure how much is in it but about the size of a can of soda was $42 and the biggest one,which was just a tiny bit bigger was nearly $80 !

Kitdragon2000

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but flea and tick season is coming back, and its getting worse so i thought i would make a few comments.

Im a tech in CA, if you have bad fleas make sure to treat your enviorment!!! flea sprays, bombs, whatever works for you just make sure the safety on it is ok for human, and four legged.
a flea can survive in a normal enviorment for practically a year if something isnt made to get their cocoon fase. while treating the enviorment keep up on flea control, here in CA we have pretty much the same weather all year, so we Need to have flea control on all year!! fleas can survive up to 40 F Outside! << that is the key word, we keep our homes usually a nice and toasty 70 ish, (fleas favorite temp.)

Also make sure what kind of flea control your using is SAFE!!! ANY HART PRODUCTS WILL KILL DOGS AND CATS!!! Sorry for the caps, but i have seen so many animals coming in from poisening from these flea controls.... Capstar has even had recalls recently because it has been making cats ill. Frontline and advantage you can now get over the counter and it is SAFE for animals, as well as people. (it is made to attach a certain part in the insects so it is safe for humans to touch)

there are medication that you can get from your vetrinarian, (comfortis, capstar, revolution, sentinal to name a few) the reason you have to get it from a vet is from 2 reasons. 1) all of these products somehow end up in the body, (comfortis, capstar, sentinal are all oral while revolution absorbed through the skin.) 2nd) it makes sure you have a safe product getting it through a vet. if anything happens to your dog / cat if you get it through a vet the company will (usually) pay for the treatment / care. if you get it trough a 3rd party, including myvetsmeds, 1800petmeds, even Drsfosterandsmith, they wont cover it because it is Technically Off label! I personally like comfortis the best (and now they have trifexis, which is flea, tick, and heartworm!! Yeah! :D) it has the best flea coverage because it is oral and it truely last for the whole month, (and can last longer, but for a flea problem using every month is best). comfortis does has a side effect of making a dog vomit, but if you feed them a meal with the pill, it usually doesnt happen. (report the ones that do to the company as well as your vet!)

anything oral also has the plus of if you have a flea allergy you can bath and help sooth the skin without losing your flea control. Even frontline can be washed off!!! if you have a flea allergy go to your vet, you can get medication / medical shampoo to help. even just 1 flea bite will / can cause a reaction in the body, just like a human with a really back misquito bite. and it can turn into a really nasty infection, hotspots, sickness with the pet if left untreated

If theres any questions you can PM me, but main take home points....

1) use SAFE product for your animals (NO HARTS!!!!)
2) Treat your enviorment including in your house
3) Have the animal see a vet if any problem starts popping up.

Sorry for the spelling errors, i usally try to use microsoft word to spell check but its really late and need to hit the hay. but hope this helps someone!
3) any allergic reaction go to your vet

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is old so i thought an update might help. A few notes...depending on which website you go to prices may vary....as well as the need for a prescription. I found some sites that require it for any oral med and others that only require for heart wormer/flea combos. Check different websites you may find better prices as well.

Dog Meds Done.PNG