Flemish Giant mix for eating?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When crossing rabbit breeds ALWAYS breed smaller breed buck to larger breed doe. The reverse of this can cause kindling issues, even death for a doe trying to kindle kits that are just too large for her body & birth canal.

On a related note, one of my best does is a NZ/Giant Chin cross. I've crossed her with Silver Fox, Californian, and NZ bucks and have really liked the kits she produces from all those pairings. I'm sure there are some inefficiencies in there if you really had the numbers (I don't), but to my eyeball and kitchen scale, her kits are bigger at slaughter than the Cali/NZ or purebred kits of the same age being harvested at the same time from the grow out pen. Not a lot, but noticeable. But I agree with other posters...I'd never breed her back to a giant breed like FG for meat purposes.
Your scale will be correct as to weight. However if one was to bone out the rabbits, then weigh the meat then the bone, one would soon realize the bone will weigh more for the Giant X than the pure Cali. or NZ rabbits and less meat. Also, they will eat more feed. :barnie

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm afraid that everything I've read about Flemish Giants would agree with Bossroo. You get a larger rabbit, but it's mostly bone and they require a lot more food. You can breed them with the Cali's and the NZ to get a larger, meatier rabbit for breeding, but keep in mind that while you're doing this that FG is going to be eating a lot, and he's going to be producing a lot of big boned babies in the process. Is there a way you can find some Production White in your area? They are a breed that Texas A&M came up with by breeding the FG with Cali's and NZ, so the work has already been done for you...

Farmin hillbilly

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I know this thread is old but thought I'd throw my two cents out there anyways. I've done quite a bit of reading on FG used to mix with meat rabbits to get more meat.
I have been breeding my NZ/rex with silver fox for a few years no and have done pretty good breading for meat. Last summer a friend of the family gave me FG doe that is currently pregnant. I realize it will take a while to breed for meat and less bones but am supper excited about trying it. Rather try and fail then to never try at all ma use to tell me. Plus regardless of the amount of meat it all taste good anywaYs

Latest posts