1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Flemish Giant mix for eating?

Discussion in 'Meat Rabbits' started by UnlabeledMama, May 23, 2013.

1. Apr 14, 2014
    aksrabbitgirl

aksrabbitgirl Exploring the pasture

they are still okay for meat:frow

2. Apr 17, 2014
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

Your scale will be correct as to weight. However if one was to bone out the rabbits, then weigh the meat then the bone, one would soon realize the bone will weigh more for the Giant X than the pure Cali. or NZ rabbits and less meat. Also, they will eat more feed. :barnie

VickieB likes this.
  3. Apr 21, 2014
    VickieB

VickieB Loving the herd life

I'm afraid that everything I've read about Flemish Giants would agree with Bossroo. You get a larger rabbit, but it's mostly bone and they require a lot more food. You can breed them with the Cali's and the NZ to get a larger, meatier rabbit for breeding, but keep in mind that while you're doing this that FG is going to be eating a lot, and he's going to be producing a lot of big boned babies in the process. Is there a way you can find some Production White in your area? They are a breed that Texas A&M came up with by breeding the FG with Cali's and NZ, so the work has already been done for you...

4. Mar 24, 2019
    Farmin hillbilly

Farmin hillbilly Herd lurker

I know this thread is old but thought I'd throw my two cents out there anyways. I've done quite a bit of reading on FG used to mix with meat rabbits to get more meat.
    I have been breeding my NZ/rex with silver fox for a few years no and have done pretty good breading for meat. Last summer a friend of the family gave me FG doe that is currently pregnant. I realize it will take a while to breed for meat and less bones but am supper excited about trying it. Rather try and fail then to never try at all ma use to tell me. Plus regardless of the amount of meat it all taste good anywaYs