1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Flemish Giants and the Eglu Go hutch

Discussion in 'Everything Else Rabbits' started by HuevosModesto, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Sep 3, 2018
    HuevosModesto

HuevosModesto Exploring the pasture

We just purchased (yesterday!) 2 female Femish Giant rabbits, and have the Eglu Go Rabbit hutch for them to live in. We bought the hutch with 4 meters of attached run, and the bunnies will be moved periodicaly to new areas of our yard (similar to a chicken tractor). We will also be letting the rabbits out to play/forage in the yard when we’re out (which, as a homechooling family, tends to be regularly). Will this be sufficient hutch/run space for these animals? Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 3, 2018
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Does the run have an enclosed bottom/have fence extending into the ground? The rabbits could burrow down and out of the run if it just sits on the grass. But yes, that is definitely enough space for your Flemishes.

3. Sep 3, 2018
    HuevosModesto

Thanks DutchBunny! Yes, the enclosure has the mesh on the ground. I’ve read that it should be covered in hay or straw to protect their feet- true or false?

4. Sep 3, 2018
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

In the pictures of the ads, the spaces on the ground mesh look pretty big; while the rabbits couldn't get through them, their feet sure could. I would be concerned about the risk of foot or leg injuries with that stuff, so keeping it covered sounds like an excellent idea.

DutchBunny03 and HuevosModesto like this.
  5. Sep 5, 2018
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

If you have extra mesh, you could stagger a second layer on top of the bottom mesh layer to make the spaces smaller.

HuevosModesto likes this.
  6. Sep 12, 2018
    HuevosModesto

Update: The bunnies are with us, and the mesh is large enough that they place their feet in the gaps. They appear happy enough, and are being taken out several times a day to hop about the yard (and being petted my my kids!). The problem I am having is that the bunnies don’t seem to use the hutch, even at night. When I moved the tractor they just let their paws dangle through the gaps and went along for the ride. Silly rabbits...