Florida White doe crossed with NZ/Cali buck?

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chris said:
Ariel72 said:
I'd like to get a pair of Florida Whites to cross and mix and match with my NZ/ Californian pair. I would let the FW doe have a couple of purebred litters, to make sure she is fully mature, before crossing her with my big buck. Has anyone done this with success before? Is it reasonably safe for the doe?
If it was me, I would use the Florida White Buck over both the Florida White Doe and the New Zealand/ Californian cross Doe. This way you still get pure Florida Whites and you start your meat cross.

Chris
I will do this too. I just wanted to be able to mix them up in different ways.

Would the NZ/ Cali/ FW offspring produce well if bred to each other?

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
Chris said:
Ariel72 said:
I'd like to get a pair of Florida Whites to cross and mix and match with my NZ/ Californian pair. I would let the FW doe have a couple of purebred litters, to make sure she is fully mature, before crossing her with my big buck. Has anyone done this with success before? Is it reasonably safe for the doe?
If it was me, I would use the Florida White Buck over both the Florida White Doe and the New Zealand/ Californian cross Doe. This way you still get pure Florida Whites and you start your meat cross.

Chris

Do you have a NZ and a Cali pair or do you have a NZ/Cali cross pair?

Chris

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
secuono said:
Ariel72 said:
Why did the three survivors need to go to a foster mom, was the HL doe unable to care for them?
It was her first litter and I did not want to risk loosing the other 3. She did produce milk and make a nest, but had them on the wire. I brought them back for feeding once a day for 2 weeks, then let the foster mom take over full time. The dead 3 died of cold and exposure, couldn't revive them.
If you don't let her learn with the first litter she can't learn how to take care the next litters.
Not true, my does fail the first time and kits die. Next time they raise them with no issues. Never had a 2nd time kindling doe fail.

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chris said:
Ariel72 said:
Chris said:

Chris

Chris
I have an NZ/Cali cross pair.

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
Chris said:
Ariel72 said:

Chris
I have an NZ/Cali cross pair.
Ok, then what you could do is
Breed your FW buck to your NZ/Cali doe then keep the fastest growing/maturing does from this cross then cross them to your NZ/Cali Buck.

I had two meat lines about 12 years ago, and one was very close to the one your working on.
The one that was close to yours was a cross of a New Zealand, California, Dutch and a Flemish Giant the other was a New Zealand, Dutch, Champagne D'argent, and Flemish Giant cross.

Chris

Florida Native

Just born
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. This exact question is what drew me here. Ariel 72, if you bred the NZ/Cali buck to the FW doe, did you encounter kindling issues?

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a FW doe that I breed to my NZW buck and we have never had issues. I'd have to go out and find my notebook but I believe she has had 6 litters from him.

pennylove

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would err on the side of caution and not breed a doe to a significantly larger buck. It could make labor and delivery very difficult or dangerous. It's not something I've tried with rabbits, but I know breeders of teacup dogs typically breed a larger female to a smaller male for this reason--it's just safer.