Fluff Kidded!!!

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She was not due for 5 more days... but surprise!!!! I told myself yesterday~" Self, you need to get her in the breeding pen on the first of Aug. Just in case! "
So off I went out to the barn this a.m only to find that she kidded in the middle of the yard moments eariler! That little stinker showed NO lig changes, or shiny hard utter, no goo what so ever yesterday!! :he

In all the shock of her kidding- I locked myself and my children out of our house! Nothing like everyone standing in the middle of the yard with only jammies on! :p

Off to the barn to take some pics!!! This time I won't lock myself out!:lol:

Michele

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Little Girl. She is much smaller then the boy- and I really happy that she is nursing well because apparently HE was stealing all the food from the inside! LOL

IMG_1655_zpsf409be01.jpg

IMG_1663_zps2375be9b.jpg

IMG_1667_zps4aaf6074.jpg

Little Boy~ He is really sturdy!

IMG_1685_zpsc997193e.jpg

IMG_1687_zpsd9fb57b0.jpg

IMG_1691_zps27a4178c.jpg

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Adorable! :love Glad the kidding went well, and you were able to get back inside the house. :p

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! These are our first babies and we couldn't be happier! I checked on them again this morning and it seems that they are doing well. The boy is much more curious then the girl and was jumping all around! It was so cute!

Michele

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
My experience is that bucklings are more vigorous initially than doelings. After a few days vigor will even up.

But, when you have a buckling and doeling nursing, you have to watch the udder it can get lopsided because the bucklings will drink more. And this can be the case until you wean them.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That is really good to know!- I checked Fluff this morning and one side was much fuller then the other. Do the kids always prefer to drink from one side over the other? How do I fix the lop sidedness? Do I need to put the boy up to Fluff and have him nurse from the fuller side??

Michele

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
fiset94 said:
That is really good to know!- I checked Fluff this morning and one side was much fuller then the other. Do the kids always prefer to drink from one side over the other? How do I fix the lop sidedness? Do I need to put the boy up to Fluff and have him nurse from the fuller side??

Michele
They will definitely pick a side and stick with it. And within a week or so, you will see that most of the time they will nurse at the same time.

We dam raise, and what we do is after the first few days we milk the doe twice a day even when her babies are with her. You don't necessarily get much, it is for the purpose of keeping them even.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great!- Maybe I will try to milk her fuller side. Do you then offer the milk back to the kids?

Michele

Latest posts