fly control

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Looking for good fly control that is safe for the cow and allows her to still be safely pet by kids...

kfacres

Reaction score
BeanJeepin said:
Looking for good fly control that is safe for the cow and allows her to still be safely pet by kids...
fly control mineral blocks.

MrsKK

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It doesn't get rid of all of them, but diatomaceous earth (DE) does a good job of reducing the fly population around here. I put a tablespoon in the grain ration for each head of cattle, the horse, the pig feed and the chicken feed. Plus we keep an old spice jar full of it and sprinkle it on wet spots and manure. I also keep some in an old sock and bounce that off my cow's legs and sides before milking - it won't keep the flies off at that point in time, but it will kill them within a short period, hopefully before they can lay more eggs!

For milking time, I make up a spray: 1/2cup Original Skin So Soft (Avon), 1/2 cup citrus mouth wash, 1/4 cup dish soap. Put it in a gallon jug and fill with cold water. Once about half full, shake it up and allow the suds to subside, then fill the rest of the way. Pour it into a spray bottle for application, shaking it up just before spraying. It doesn't keep all the flies off and doesn't last a long time, but I use it on myself, too, to prevent the flies from biting me while milking. I also spray it on the cow's legs and belly.

kfacres

Reaction score
hocus pocus-- is DE..

dawn dish soap and vinegar is our natural fly spray.

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will for sure pick up some DE. Would the fly control mineral block be safe for the goats to consume? I know that the DE is safe for everyone (but bugs!).

The dawn dish soap and vinegar water - on the animals themselves or around their areas?

kfacres

Reaction score
BeanJeepin said:
Will for sure pick up some DE. Would the fly control mineral block be safe for the goats to consume? I know that the DE is safe for everyone (but bugs!).

The dawn dish soap and vinegar water - on the animals themselves or around their areas?
don't waste your money with DE-- basically-- it's ground up glass

dish soap- does both== put it on both.

read the fly blocks-- there are several for different species.

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're looking at the Spalding fly predators as well.

We had good luck with DE when the dogs had fleas very badly one year.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I've used DE with pretty good luck as well, but giving it orally will probably only help prevent worms, it wont help at all with external bugs unless you use the DE externally.

DE is actually made of a ground up rock that is fossilized algae, the abrasive edges of the particles cut the parasites and bugs in their abdomen causing them to die of dehydration.

MrsKK

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
DE being fed through also helps reduce the flies because the flies lay their eggs in the manure. When the larvae hatch, they are cut by the DE and die.

kfacres

Reaction score
So, we (you) are saying that it's recommended to feed ground up coralized fosilized algae (glass like substance) to livestock for the purpose of 'cut by the DE and die' or better yet (more explanatory) 'the abrasive edges of the particles cut the parasites and bugs in their abdomen causing them to die of dehydration.'?