fly problem

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hey y’all! i have a fly problem in my chicken and duck run. how can i get rid of them? i’ve tried everything and it’s horrible!!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
hey y’all! i have a fly problem in my chicken and duck run. how can i get rid of them? i’ve tried everything and it’s horrible!!!
First, see if you can correct some of the reasons you have so many (NOT that you can ever get rid of flies 100%, but you can reduce the number).

So... reduce moist spots... dry soil is better.

Make sure all scraps that the chickens don't eat are cleaned out.

Rake up the run, clean the coop. The less poo, the less flies.

After all of that, hopefully you will have fewer flies.... but you will still have flies..

To reduce them more:

A breeze can help reduce flies (depending on your flies). So if overgrown bushes are stopping all breeze, cut them back a bit.

You can use fly tape or fly traps. For a heavy fly load, one of those traps that is a huge plastic bottle is great, since they can fill up fast.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First, see if you can correct some of the reasons you have so many (NOT that you can ever get rid of flies 100%, but you can reduce the number).

So... reduce moist spots... dry soil is better.

Make sure all scraps that the chickens don't eat are cleaned out.

Rake up the run, clean the coop. The less poo, the less flies.

After all of that, hopefully you will have fewer flies.... but you will still have flies..

To reduce them more:

A breeze can help reduce flies (depending on your flies). So if overgrown bushes are stopping all breeze, cut them back a bit.

You can use fly tape or fly traps. For a heavy fly load, one of those traps that is a huge plastic bottle is great, since they can fill up fast.
ok, so it is hard to reduce moist spots when I have 2 ducklings but I will try my absolute best
I do clean up scraps every night
I will definitely clean up their run!

they do have a breeze that only comes to them, no other livestock which sucks lol

what huge plastic water bottle trap are you talking about? i will have to try that out!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
ok, so it is hard to reduce moist spots when I have 2 ducklings but I will try my absolute best
I do clean up scraps every night
I will definitely clean up their run!

they do have a breeze that only comes to them, no other livestock which sucks lol

what huge plastic water bottle trap are you talking about? i will have to try that out!
Fly trap... like one of these:

SmartSelect_20220601-222315_Samsung Internet.jpg

Those are both different kinds of the same brand.

But there are different brands, and different kinds.

I don't know which ones work best.

:idunno