Fly strike!! Help!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I have my show Holland lop...she’s in a hutch..or was. She was supposed to kindle. She pulled fur. Four days..nothing. Then on that fourth day I noticed giant clumps of poop all over the hutch. Her bumm was a mess. I think she started pooping in the box? Her lady parts were sooooo swollen...it was terrible. I texted my bunny friends. I texted The breeder I got her from...as I was talking to her about the lady parts...I saw....maggots. I had jus5 read about two weeks before about fly strike and awful it is on a bunny. I was terrified it would happen here. I put tons of fly strips up in the barn. But, not outside. So, I started scrubbing out Sweet Cheek’s parts...then I realized I had to pull fur. I kept pulling, pulling...I pulled her tail down to a stub. I smothered her skin in vasoline. Brough5 her inside. Started giving her yogurt, probiotic on her feed, extra hay, etc. syringe feeding water. Every time I checked, I found more maggots. It’s been since yesterday...her body is bare almost waist down. She’s such a good bun. She lays there and let’s me pick of those awful bugs. Then I walk her down, and pull more fur...then rub more vasoline. Her lady parts look better. But some of the skin looks like the6 ate it away? What else can I do? Unfortunately, vetting is not an option.

these are pictures of her swollen lady parts...the breeder told me that she learned at a show to use teramyacin on it..it worked..BTW..Sweet Cheeks..has 4 legs....and the best coat quality ever.....
A8F6DAC6-5198-4637-B1CB-23468A623838.jpeg
B29FAEF2-0E96-4D0C-8547-9E397D69AC51.jpeg
60093136-E44F-43A1-9DFF-4326A6F532EC.jpeg
C530541A-2AA4-44B5-A914-F1C24CC89B8D.jpeg
48815DE8-8012-44AE-B83A-11AB22ADE6D4.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, she’s actually doing much bette4 today. She’s lives yogurt, we’re giving her lots of dandelion, and I’m giving her rolled oats, because she’s lost weight due to the stress....I also cheated and gave he4 a bit of bread...just as a treat. We’ve got the fan blowing on her, she sits in front of it. She’s still very sweet. When she sees me come with the yogurt..man she comes hopping like crazy!! Her privates are no longer swollen, and no maggots the last three times I’ve checked! So, we’re gaining ground. But she’s got a long way to go. I can’t put he4outside until tge fur starts to regrow...

Latest posts