fly strike?

nsanywhere

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
With the warmer humid weather, our fly population has exploded. I do what I can to control the environment, but on a small farm with chickens and sheep free ranging, there is poop all over the place, and therefore flies.

SO...what can I do to make sure my sheep don't get sick from the flies?

No one has any open wounds, and they were sheared in May so the fur isn't too bad right now.

I do what I can to keep the pens clean, but the flies have jumped in number.

I've hung a few sticky fly catchers, but they are a joke. I think I need something that actually attracts the flies.

Wondering if anyone can share fly control advice? I've got LOTS of the green ones....

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Large fans in the barn make it hard for flies to lite so there numbers decrease. Spray ammonia in the barn during the day and keep the animals out... non toxic but flies hate it (so do the animals) at night the flies are not as active unless you have lights on. Remove droppings every day and if you can set up a place to till it under.... the more animals the more work. There are fly lure traps and they work just ok but not when you have a heavy fly load. I bought fly predators one year but you have to time that just right so i did not have any luck with it. Tea tree oil works great to keep the flies off the animals.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
What breed of sheep do you have? If they're a wool breed, are their tails docked? That's all you really have to worry about, as non-docked wool sheep tend to get urine and feces caked on the wool which draws flies. As long as your sheep have docked tails and no open wounds, they'll be fine.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I ordered a big fan from teksupply, for the inside of the goat barn, cost about $129.00. Quite an expense but it did make a huge difference in the fly population. I also got one for the chicken house, it too helps a lot.

I guess flies in Oklahoma are dumber than yours, mine do get stuck on those fly strips, the cheapo ones, 25 cents each.

I also sprinkle Stall Dry around about once a week, and DH scoops up the poop with a hay rake first thing every morning, and dumps it in the garden. Then adds a bit of fresh bedding.

My goats are only in the barn if it's raining outside. They much prefer to be outside.

DonnaBelle

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At most stores they sell fly traps that fit with gallon jugs (like the gallon milk containers you buy at the grocery store) and those are supposed to work well. I hang 2 re-usable fly traps in the goat barn and 3 in the chicken coop. It comes with fly attractant and you mix the attractant with water and fill up the container 1/3-1/2 full and hang where ever the flies are at the most. It took 2 days and one of mine was full earlier this month. Those cost about $5-$6 each and the replacement attractant is $4.50 for 2. Worth it to me that's for sure!

I also bought fly spray and spray the chicken nesting boxes (when no one is in it) and that helps out immensely. It smells like flea foggers, so spray when everyone's outside for the day, close the doors and open about an hour later for ventilation.