1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Foamy diarrhea with mucus

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by AlleysChicks, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jun 1, 2019
    AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Loving the herd life

Been on a streak of bad luck lately it seems. I have a 1 year old lionhead doe that was covered in foamy diarrhea this afternoon. She was not like this this morning at feeding. Its been raining for weeks but today was pretty warm but not hot.
    Ideas and treatment?

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  2. Jun 1, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    AmberLops likes this.
  3. Jun 1, 2019
    AlleysChicks

I bathed her butt earlier and checked on her when I got home from tsc. No poopy butt. I'll check her in the morning too before I leave. I'm going to the city so I'll be around petsmart and Petco. I hope they will have something. I feel awful for her.

4. Jun 1, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Hay and probiotics.....that's all I have to offer :(......hope she is going to be ok.....did you by chance feed her any strange weeds ? Or grass ?

AmberLops and AlleysChicks like this.
  5. Jun 1, 2019
    AlleysChicks

hoping to find some benebac tomorrow. Tsc doesn't carry it and I'm in the boonies. I don't know any other to get.

They all get hay and the same pellet feed. This bale is either Timothy or Timothy/alfalfa. It stays in the shed so its dry. No weeds or grass. I tried feeding some last month and they have absolutely no interest in them.

6. Jun 1, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I don't know if it would work for you but I got a jar of powdered pro bio. From TS and put in water, either drink from the pail for the goats or syringe if i got to get it in quick...could you put in the water feeder for her hutch ?
    I have even opened otc pro bio that I take and used it...wally world has it cheap on the equate brand....may be worth a shot....good luck :frow

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    AlleysChicks and AmberLops like this.
  7. Jun 1, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Read the post about the three kits dieing.....she ate healthy rabbit poop and her gut appears better, they were having seizures. ...woth the read if you haven't yet ...:bunny

AlleysChicks and AmberLops like this.
  8. Jun 1, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

It's pretty strange for an adult rabbit to have diarrhea...is she outside? in a hutch/cage? or on the ground??
    Is she eating/drinking normal? Behavior normal? Lethargic? Any other symptoms?

Is the diarrhea like soft pudding with a terrible smell? If it is, then it could just be soft cecotropes.
    When my kits get diarrhea I always give them Vets Preferred Advanced Anti-Diarrhea...I buy that on amazon and it lasts a long time.

I found this link for TSC, they have Kaolin/Pectin...the same thing I mentioned above but just a different brand.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...sion-anti-diarrheal-liquid-1-gal?cm_vc=-10005

How much does she weigh?
    If she is over 4lbs give her 3 mls and if she is under 4lbs give 2 and a half mls by mouth with a syringe :)
    Hope this helps!!

9. Jun 2, 2019
    AlleysChicks

Shes outside in a wire bottom hutch. Shes in with another rabbit because she doesn't do well being alone.
    No other symptoms, shes eating and drinking normal. The diarrhea had almost a sour smell and was a light brown/orangish appearance. I'll take pics if it happens again.
    Shes not heavy at all maybe 2lbs.

10. Jun 2, 2019
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf Herd Master

You may want to treat for cocci, diarrhea can be a symptom in adults as well as kits. Or have a vet do a fecal and see if there's something else going on. Even in wire hutches they can pick things up. Good luck, hope your bun feels better!