Fodder Anyone?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
VickieB said:
Does feeding fodder make your fryers fatter, or fitter? (I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself... :gig)

As far as I know, have read, have experienced, anytime you take them off pellets they are leaner and grow slower. Commercial pellets are for max production/ weight gain as possible... so feeding fodder makes fryers fitter. :lol: :p

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I fed my rabbits fodder today for the first time. I only gave each one a small square and most of them began to nibble on it right away. Late this evening my hubby checked on them and some had eaten their entire square, some had eaten the green sprouts and left all the roots, and others had eaten half sprouts and half roots. Hoping to find it all gone by morning.

Beachbunny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nawma ...over time I have found that they eventually eat the whoe thing root bed n all just takes some time .

silver0202

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I posted a youtube video on my sprouting station... healthier feed at less than half the cost of commercial feed.

I got a small green house from harbor freight tools for under $30 plus a few aluminum baking trays at the 99cent store. Now I can feed my rabbits and chicken a nice chunk of fresh fodder every day. :)

To see the video copy and paste the link youtube.com/watch?v=2haxOZNua7I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWeKOluQhkeTHkqV5rN_avQ

s.

Vasara

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know there is at least one member posting that feeds fodder. I apologize that I forgot his/her name. I plan to start a small production of fodder this weekend and would love to compare notes with anyone else feeding fodder. From what I have been able to learn so far rabbits can be taken off commercial pellets altogether if they eat fodder with some roughage suppliments like hay. I plan to use barley feed to start my fodder and am curious if anyone else uses other grains. I reade that wheat works well but that oats dont germinate well. Also curious about the transition. Dont want to make my buns ill.
I feed fodder but haven’t been able to produce enough to completely wean off pellets, yet. I’ve been experimenting with barley and wheat. In my experience so far, barley grows faster and taller but wheat grows thicker. I’m thinking I’ll stick with the wheat. I’ve also tried rye but it stinks so no more of that! I also haven’t figured out exactly how much fodder to feed to replace pellets. My rabbits, especially my buck, gets so excited when I give him pellets