fodder sprout question?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask if its easier to do barley and field pea sprouts or wheat sprouts compared to BOSS sprouting.

Initially I started doing boss sprouting a few months ago. It started out well..

Then I got my first batch of mold, despite being careful.

I changed and adjusted. I began putting bleach in the water.

Then again, mold. Start over.

Then again mold. Start over.

I've worked out getting the stuff to sprout. But its such a freaking pain in the ... I so badly want to fill up the page with swearing because of all the headaches this is giving me. Over and over I can't get rid of mold and rot somehow getting in the process. And I don't have all day to comb over every seed also.

I just don't feel like BOSS sprouts work because the tendency for rot and mold is extremely high. (And this isn't even counting that for some reason LOTS of the BOSS don't sprout in the sprout trays.)

So I'm wondering what the alternative is, and how much easier could it be with something else? I really hope a different type will be better and easier.

I'd started this hoping to lower the costs of feed, but having to start over all the time is making it more expensive. And boss bags aren't even that cheap.

Hope someone can offer advise.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask if its easier to do barley and field pea sprouts or wheat sprouts compared to BOSS sprouting.

Initially I started doing boss sprouting a few months ago. It started out well..

Then I got my first batch of mold, despite being careful.

I changed and adjusted. I began putting bleach in the water.

Then again, mold. Start over.

Then again mold. Start over.

I've worked out getting the stuff to sprout. But its such a freaking pain in the ... I so badly want to fill up the page with swearing because of all the headaches this is giving me. Over and over I can't get rid of mold and rot somehow getting in the process. And I don't have all day to comb over every seed also.

I just don't feel like BOSS sprouts work because the tendency for rot and mold is extremely high. (And this isn't even counting that for some reason LOTS of the BOSS don't sprout in the sprout trays.)

So I'm wondering what the alternative is, and how much easier could it be with something else? I really hope a different type will be better and easier.

I'd started this hoping to lower the costs of feed, but having to start over all the time is making it more expensive. And boss bags aren't even that cheap.

Hope someone can offer advise.
I only tried barley. Like you I had some mold. Adding bleach to the initial soak helped some. The room I did it in was maybe to cool. Being to hot or cold can mess with your results. Check out web site for brick house acres rabbitry they have a good tutorial with pictures. Good luck. I'm being gifted a 20# bag of barley for Christmas so I'll be growing fodder again soon.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I started some Sunday. Added bleach to the soak. Washed the containers with bleach and made more holes. Lots of roots when I checked this afternoon. I discovered the hard way I need to tilt them to get better drainage. Sure be glad when it's March and my orchard grass grows back.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also once the root bed is good. Pull them out of the trays, throw them on a rack and water them.
So I got them out of the trays sitting on the rack. I'm getting the cucumber aroma. I don't see any mold yet. Do you use any extra lighting? It's growing but it seems slow.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's a picture from the second batch of barley. Growing good so far with no mold yet:bow
Took it out of the container when it rooted well. I've noticed the roots are grabbing the wire so you have to pull to lift it.
IMG_20210114_142735359.jpg