1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Gift from the Neighbour
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Fodder????

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Pigs' started by Jayzandra, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jan 29, 2017
    Jayzandra

Jayzandra Overrun with beasties

I'm getting ready to start up a fodder system. I have pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and rabbits. Maybe someday eventually, a cow. My base plan is to buy a variety of seed in bulk, then mix equal parts together as I start each day, and feed it to all the animals.
    My question is this, what would be the best mix of sprouts for pigs? I'm still planning on supplementing with commercial hog food, but would like to take advantage of all the benefits of fodder for all of my animals.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Jan 29, 2017
    micah wotring

micah wotring Loving the herd life

Not sure as I am just starting on this myself! I've tried barely and rye so-far. Only like 2 square feet of each though. I'm mostly feeding it to my chickens.

Hope you find out what you need!

~MW

3. Jan 29, 2017
    Jayzandra

I did a trial experiment with bird seed and it sprouted beautifully.
    I was thinking of a mixture of corn, which is super cheap and easy to find, wheat, some kind of legume, barely, maybe whole oats? I guess it would depend on what I can find.

micah wotring likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo Loving the herd life

According to the research done by several Zoos, your best bet for bang for your buck is barley. The other seed / crop fodder just do not produce enough in a short period of time to be a viable option. However, if you don't keep your growing medium and equipment very clean , you will have mold , etc. that will become quite a chore to keep clean and mold, etc. from causing digestive and/ or health issues. I know several people that have started this program ( one of them was a TB horse breeding farm ) then quiting it due to sanitation upkeep issues.

micah wotring and Goat Whisperer like this.
  5. Jan 29, 2017
    Jayzandra

Thank you

6. Feb 27, 2017
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Loving the herd life

Avoid corn if you can it tends to go bad quite quickly and by go bad i mean ferment....and ladies and gentlemen what is made from fermented corn......yep whiskey. Admittedly you add sugar and other stuffs to the corn to ferment it for whiskey and then run it through a still but trust me you dont want it fermenting in your fodder pans cause it smells so so bad when it does it that way and attracts lots of bugs. Corn is also relatively hard to sprout in a noticeable manner in shorter periods of time.

The best sprouters we have found are whole oats with husks on, very low instance of mold, grows fast, grows in cold/cool weather and without sunlight. An added bonus is you can grow it in/on anything and it doesnt care it will sprout. Barely is easy to do as well, both take 7-9 days to sprout.

You can safely feed 2-3% of your pigs body weight to them in green fodder.

Jayzandra likes this.
  7. Feb 27, 2017
    Jayzandra

Thank you!

8. Feb 28, 2017
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Loving the herd life

Your welcome :D