Folded Ears

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is my second year raising meat goats and last year, my first year, I didn't have this problem. Last fall I purchased a new Spanish/Boer buck that did not display folded ears, neither did his offspring (which I got to see). I'm assuming that he was the carrier of this trait, I no longer have this buck, but I was planning on keeping several of his daughters. My goats are really only pets and the offspring sold for slaughter, no shows or registering (yet, would like to phase into registered Boers).

Any who, I didn't really think anything could be done about it until I started reading on it. Other than it being a cosmetic no-no, is there anything wrong with this? As in I should reconsider keeping my previous bucks daughters? I realize now that its an easy fix, though to late for my current kids which are 4 months old.

Is this even a heredity thing? Like I previously mentioned, I haven't had any problems with this from my does till I had this buck.

Thanks for reading!

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Since this seems to be a common thing in Boers, was just curious if its something that I should cull for (in the future when I get into registered)? Its a horizontal fold, not vertical btw.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For just pets and slaughter goats I wouldn't worry to much about a horizontal fold.....but...If you are selling them for slaughter, vs your own meat source, they tend to go at lower prices than a cosmetically appeasing goat. When selling a female with folded ears her price is dramatically reduced, since she is not considered breeding quality.

I have found it to be genetic with my old nubians and cleared out that bloodline asap. I'm not sure of the actual study on it though. Personally it costs "the same" to feed a poor genetic animal vs something you will get more payback from.

Also! When people come to look at unfolded breeding priced offspring and see the folded mom they may pass it by.