1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Mar 14, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

i have seen several people talking about feeding fondant. Is this the same fondant as they use on say cakes and such? The kind of fondant people would eat(i think it tastes gross but some like it i know).

If this is the same type of fondant as cake fondant, i make my own marshmallow fondant would that work to feed the bees? Its just marshmallows, powdered sugar and a bit of water. Normal traditionally fondant is powdered sugar, water, gelatin, corn syrup, glycerin, shortening, vanilla extract, and almond extract.

2. Mar 14, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

First, do NOT feed powdered sugar to the bees... they have trouble digesting it and for some reason it's not good for them... If you'll be using sugar, use plain old granulated white cane sugar. Fondant is "bee candy" and there are certain things you don't want to mix in it (like starch and vanilla flavoring) It's for bee consumption not human. Anyway, there are lots of resources on the web. Here's a good one to start:

http://www.bamboohollow.com/fondant-recipe.php

misfitmorgan likes this.
  3. Mar 14, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

Alright so...not cake fondant lol.... thank you Latestarter and for the how to on bee fondant lol :D =D

Latestarter likes this.