Foot Abscess - Drain or Let Rupture On Its Own?

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Noticed a foot abscess on my buck today. It is on his left hind foot. It is on the side, not right on the bottom. About the size and texture of a garbanzo bean. Should I try to lance and drain it? If so, does anyone have experience with this and could offer me suggestions? He's just a meat rabbit so not worried about appearance, etc., but want to take good care of him.

Or should I just let "nature take its course" and see if it ruptures on its own?

In either case, what type of antibiotic cream should I apply? Can you bandage a rabbit foot?

Thanks for any advice. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it too much - he moves well about his cage (in fact I just bred him a week ago and he did his usual great job) and doesn't seem gimpy or favoring the foot at all.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if you can, and it wont be easy soak it in warm not hot, but warm as you can epsom salt water. like for humans foot bath. twice a day for about 5 minutes or longer if he seams to agree. this should bring it to a head like a pimple and it should rupture on its own. when it dose squeeze out the pus. irrigate with clean rabbit body temperature water till clear. then use the cattle "today " mammary teat infusion antibiotic paste and fill it up in the hole. keep an eye on it, it should heal with out any other intervention. no bandage needed. bed in timothy or bahiagrass hay instead. which ever grass he is already accustomed to eating.

Latest posts